Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Air conditioning is evil...

HeyBub wrote:
... so says an article in the New York Times.

"Today’s humans probably need air-conditioning if they want to thrive
and prosper. Yet if all those new city dwellers use air-conditioning
the way Americans do, life could be one stuttering series of massive
blackouts, accompanied by disastrous planet-warming emissions. We
can’t live with air-conditioning, but we can’t live without it."

Well, we sure *used* to live without it.

Of course, there is a lot more concrete/asphalt now for heat sinks. Not to
mention tall buildings (in cities) that block the breezes. And commercial
office buildings used to have windows that opened, houses had decent
overhangs and - if desiged well - took advantage of the natural cooling
afforded by trees and cross ventilation. Cars had wing windows that would
let you direct a nice breeze inward even when it was raining. Now things
are "improved".

Personally, I *still* live without it for the most part. The main heat pump
for our house hasn't been on this summer - and August in Florida is hot and
muggy. I do sometimes turn on the heat pump for our bedroom for a couple of
hours along about sunset because the humidity rises then due to the cooler
air after sunset.

We also use the air in our main car. The secondary one has no air, just
wing windows. I prefer it

On the political front, things went to pot when Congress got air
conditioning...they all used to go home when DC got hot & muggy; now they
are there all year trying to dream up stuff to justify their presence.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net