Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making my own wood filler

Epoxy is out as it won't take the oil and will look ugly. Any words of wisdom appreciated. Art

1. Not sure of the wisdom or any succesful way to do this. Wood will keep shrinking, cracking, changing and the filler will likely all or mostly fall out over time.

2. System Three T-88 structural epoxy dries to an amber color and is very sandable. Not sure of the actual color of your wood but if it matches even close it may be beautiful.

I had the top of an aging pine hope chest destroyed by the daughter I made it for after 15 years of nice yellowing. After reassembling the pieces I had some 3/8" wide gaps by several inches long just missing material. I pooled T-88 sanded it out, dye stained in the surrounding sanded wood and toned the whole tope with some yellowed lacquer and it looks beauty.