Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Making my own wood filler

wrote:
Addendum: In some places, a second application of filler may be
required, as the initial filling may shrink. Pack the filler in,
really hard, to make sure as possible of as complete of filling of
the cracks as possible, before skimming off the excess.

IMO, you are better off leaving the cracks and checks open as water WILL get
in but will have a hard time getting out.

As far as making filler, I don't think oil of any type would be a very good
binding agent, varnish would work better.

If you just gotta fill, I'd suggest a *good* caulk - one similar in color
to the wood - backed up if the checks are deep.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net