Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Convert Swan Neck Towbar/ball to flange type?

On 17/08/2012 11:14, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
Hi All,

After having a fixed swan nect type towbar on my car for 10 years or
so, i've just discovered it's limitations !:=((

What I would like to do (once having checked noseweight restrictions)
is to mount a cycle carrier on the towbar/ball, AND tow my trailer.
Unfortunately, the only way I can see to do this is with a behind the
ball type cycle carrier which requires a traditional flange type
towball mount.

I can see some converters on the market, but all these seem to do is
clamp arond the towball to allow you attach an accessory, but not to
also attach o tow ball so as to be able to tow the trailer
simultaneosly.

The current towball is basically a ball on the end of a bar which goes
back to wards the front of the car and is then secured to the towbar
chassis gubbins by two left/right bolts.

Is this the standard arengement, and if so does anyone sell a
replacement for this part which instead of ending in a ball ends in a
flangy wangy to which a standard two bolt towball (and cycle carrier)
would fit?

If not, any recommendations for how to construct such a thing (or in
my case, have a local metal fabricator construct one)?

Could you chop the existing towball off and weld a flange on? Or
would such a weld not stand up to the sheer forces involved?

I suppose one option is to hunt around for a second hand flange type
towbar for the car and swap it over, but i'd rather not go that route
if I can avoid it.

I think conveting the towbar will be out of the question and that if you
want a flange type ball, you'll have to replace the towbar.

That said, it looks like you can get a carrier for your existing bar
that will still allow towing.

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/help/swan_neck.html

Tim

That looks promising, and probably the best bet.

Whilst you may physically be able to cut the ball off a swan neck jobbie
and weld a flange on, it almost certainly wouldn't be legal - unless the
car was first registered before 1998. After that date, all towbars and
balls have to be type approved, having been subjected to rigorous tests.
--
Cheers,
Roger