Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_6_] Gunner[_6_] is offline

Default [OT] Air Pollution

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:40:51 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Thank you, C.A.R.B. I like breathing easy now.

I disagree with that sentiment. I had my smog license and watched
some pretty nice vehicles go into meltdown after installing some of
CARB's required devices and settings. Millions of dollars of vehicle
engines were toasted from that idiocy. CA air would have greened
fairly quickly anyway, sticking to federal guidelines, so I think it
was a ghastly waste, a crime against the populace.

California Air Resources Board caught using intentionally flawed data
Posted on October 8, 2010 by Erick Brockway

- Dr. James Enstrom (HT: Martinezgazette.com)

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has been caught making
environmental policy based on badly flawed and intentionally dishonest
estimates of PM2.5 pollution admissions. How bad is bad? Try a 340%
overestimation of diesel particulate pollution levels? No way? Way!!

The pollution estimate in question was too high – by 340
percent, according to the California Air Resources Board, the state
agency charged with researching and adopting air quality standards.
The estimate was a key part in the creation of a regulation adopted by
the Air Resources Board in 2007, a rule that forces businesses to cut
diesel emissions by replacing or making costly upgrades to heavy-duty,
diesel-fueled off-road vehicles used in construction and other
industries.

The CARB staff blames this “oversight” on the recession and the
resulting termination of many construction projects. Independent
reviewers argue that applying the current methodology to existing data
still gives terribly inaccurate results. The data then was used to
produce the predictable Malthusian Scare Statistics. 18,000 premature
deaths per year were attributed to diesel emissions according to the
340% inaccurate research. This has since been revised downward, after
the monies were expropriated from construction firms operating
diesels, to 9,200.

Given the intelligent and diligent people that work at CARB, this
should surprise everyone. Well, ok, whom am I kidding? Maybe it
shouldn’t. According to Dr. James Enstrom of UCLA and others who
offered a 100 page critique of the “science” used by CARB, the
regulatory commission was not exactly fielding the varsity when it
undertook the analysis to support the regulations.

The year-long process of development of the new regulations
resulted in some very revealing public commentary, accusations of
complicity in the scientific review process, and even misconduct by
CARB officials.

In the biggest scandal, opposition scientists found the lead
author of the key study by CARB had faked his Ph.D. and lacked
expertise in air pollution research. In addition, CARB hired reviewers
to review their own papers, naturally resulting in approval of the
scientific studies that claimed the death and health effects.

(HT: The Heartland Institute)

In order to properly fertilize the science, the authors of the
“scientific research” had to use PM2.5 data that did not come from a
California Airshed. The Heartland Institute points out that five
separate independent researchers claim no significant link exists
between PM2.5 and premature deaths in CA. One reason no link exists
stems from the fact that California has the 4th lowest death rate in
the nation and extremely low rates of diesel pollution compared to
prior years.

This suggests that reasonable observers may well have valid
gravamen to contest the merits of the scientific brilliance of a study
that links the deaths of people who are still walking around town to
substances that are very, nearly almost absent from the air that said
cadavers are currently continuing to breathe. However, based on the
deliberately falsified science by the CARB, the following regulatory
findings were handed down.

All Drayage diesel trucks older than 1994 must be retired from
service. Those built between 1994 and 2003 must undergo a costly
retrofit — a soot trap ranging in price from $12,000 to $25,000,
depending on the age of the vehicle. Leo Kay, the Communication
Director for the ARB, said that there are approximately 20,000
affected trucks in California. ARB offered $11 million in grants for
the affected truckers. Each trucker could potentially receive $5,000
toward the retrofit of their diesel….

(Martinez Gazette – Ob. Cit.)
One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper