Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

Han wrote:

Yes I think that voter fraud should be rooted out. Seriously.
Really!

But how to do that? We would need honest and reliable civil servants
for that, who won't sell a few votes here and there to help the good
candidates. See where I am going? Perhaps the best way would be to
implant an RFID into every legal citizen and making sure his/her vote
gets properly registered. All that socalled privacy and secrecy is
just show. Let's dispense with that. Right?

Civil servants do not conduct the elections, volunteers do. That is, the
poll workers are either volunteers (GOP primaries) or paid temporary
workers. (Paid by the party in the case of a primary, or by the county or
city in the case of a general election.) And neither civil servants nor poll
workers are responsible for fraudulent votes.

It is very difficult to mess with the returns or ballots after they are
cast. I've worked on ballot security teams and the mantra is "prevent a
fraudulent ballot at all cost" because once a vote is cast, legit or dodgy,
it's virtually impossible to undo it. Only in the case of a "provisional" or
absentee ballot (usually) is it possible to tie a specific vote to a
specific person.

It's not totally impossible for the election headquarters to mess with the
results. When you get a chance, look up "Landslide Lyndon."

Poll workers process each voter by the numbers - you do this, you go there,
etc. If all the workers are Democrats (I'll skip how they are selected),
they are back-stopped by Republican poll-watchers who make sure each step is
followed precisely. The Democrats usually don't bother sending poll watchers
to Republican precincts - they know that Republicans don't do nasty things
at the polling place*.

-----------
* Here's why: Democrats are universally concerned with outcome - the end
justifies the means, hence the vast preponderance of hanky-panky involves
Democrats. Republicans worship process - the means determine the result.
Consider the Republican insistence on picture-ID. They want to perfect the
process, to eliminate any error. The Democrats object because they believe
personal IDs will affect the results adversely. Process vs. results.

I guess my statement "Republicans don't do nasty things at the polling
place" needs some clarification. Consider an example:

In some heavily Democratic precincts, it's common for the Republicans to
hire off-duty police officers to stand, in full uniform, at the entrance to
the polling place with a clipboard. The thought is that 80% or so of the
voters have an outstanding criminal arrest warrant and that any potential
voter, upon seeing the cop, would look down and say "feet, make tracks!"

Is this "nasty"?

Only your hairdresser knows for sure.