Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Aldi Update

Steve Firth wrote
tim..... wrote

I've lived in Italy too, and, whilst my circle of associates was likely
to be smaller (and younger) than Steve's, I didn't actually know anyone
who made pizza at home. If you wanted a pizza you went to the pizzeria
at the end of the road (and, whichever road it was, they made so much
better pizza than pizzeria anywhere else in the world, IME). It was
cheap enough to do 4 times a week if you wanted - how many
times a week do you need pizza?

Pretty fair summary, yes my friends are older (60s upwards for
the most part) they are also rural hence can't just pop around
to a local shop. Even so very few own a pizza oven.

Never said that most of those did. I JUST said that the reason
that pizza stones aren't used much in italy is because pizzas
are normally done in dedicated pizza ovens, not necessarily
in the home of the individual eating the pizza.

So to me, Steve's comment can just as easily be interpreted
to mean "Italians don't make pizza at home".

In part and also that a pizza oven is a luxury item.

Not when its home made it ain't. Its not rocket science.

Traditionally city families would take their
food Tia baker an use their oven for a fee.

And thats why they dont normally use pizza stones, stupid.

But pizza is takeaway food and is bought as much as made.

And when its bought, its normally done in a dedicated pizza oven, stupid.

The ovens aren't "dedicated pizza ovens" they are bread ovens.

Utterly mangled all over again.

We have three, two in a state of disrepair but our home is a large farmers
house

So it does in fact have 3 that were designed for that purpose,
whatever you choose to call them, and thats why they dont
use pizza stones much.

so it's the hub of a hamlet and all the farm workers would
bring their food up to the big house to be cooked.

Still a dedicated oven, stupid.

Rod doesn't seem to have a clue about how much wood
is needed to fire an oven, or how much time it takes.

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

I've done it, ****wit.

He also doesn't seem to know that most homes in Italy have a 3kW supply.

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

They can't run a pizza oven of the sort sold at garden centres and
ironmongers

Never said they could, ****wit.

because to run the 3kw element they would have to turn everything else
off.

(BTW I've actually no idea what this "stone" is supposed to do, if that's
relevant)

It's a bit of flim-flam.

Like hell it is.

It is just an oven tray that needs more pre-heating than a metal one.

Have fun explaining why dedicated pizza ovens in italy dont just use a
metal tray.

You never ever did have a ****ing clue about anything at all, even bottled
water.