Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Another annoyance

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:47:12 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:43:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:34:10 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Another annoyance...

By "annoyance", do you mean the problem or your question?

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

That's the default icon for a compressed archive. Windoze has a
miserable builtin zip/unzip program that handles zip files for you.
However, if you install a real zip/unzip program, such as 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org
not only will the icon change to something recognizable as a zip file,
but you'll be able to zip and unzip a much wider assortment of
compressed archives.

I have both WinZIP and WinRAR installed. I want the icon to go away

7zip will also do RAR files.

Something went wrong during the installation. You might want to try
and repair either Winzip or WinRAR. Go to the Control Panel, find
Winzip, and select "repair" if it's available.

If not, go to Windoze Explorer (right click on "start" and select
"explore). Tools - Folder Options - File Types
Scroll down to ZIP. It usually says "Compressed (zipped) folder".
Hit "change" and select which program you want to have the ZIP file
opened with. That should also change the icon.

I don't see why you don't like the standard icon. When dealing with
zip folders/files, I don't double click on the zip file. I use right
click on the zip file, and then select which zip program I want to use
to extract it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D