Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Another annoyance

Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:34:10 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Another annoyance...

By "annoyance", do you mean the problem or your question?

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

That's the default icon for a compressed archive. Windoze has a
miserable builtin zip/unzip program that handles zip files for you.
However, if you install a real zip/unzip program, such as 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org
not only will the icon change to something recognizable as a zip file,
but you'll be able to zip and unzip a much wider assortment of
compressed archives.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

You don't SFAIK. What's wrong with it? The metaphor seems fine
to me - you can open them as if they were folders without
resorting to PKZip or the like.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:45:46 -0500, Les Cargill
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

You don't SFAIK. What's wrong with it? The metaphor seems fine
to me - you can open them as if they were folders without
resorting to PKZip or the like.

The XP Pro machine that died (ancient Enpower) didn't do that. Maybe
it's machine-brand dependent? (This new box is Lenovo.)

I don't like the clutter... I like to make my own ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Another annoyance...

By "annoyance", do you mean the problem or your question?

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

That's the default icon for a compressed archive. Windoze has a
miserable builtin zip/unzip program that handles zip files for you.
However, if you install a real zip/unzip program, such as 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org
not only will the icon change to something recognizable as a zip file,
but you'll be able to zip and unzip a much wider assortment of
compressed archives.

I have both WinZIP and WinRAR installed. I want the icon to go away
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

You don't SFAIK. What's wrong with it? The metaphor seems fine
to me - you can open them as if they were folders without
resorting to PKZip or the like.

The XP Pro machine that died (ancient Enpower) didn't do that. Maybe
it's machine-brand dependent? (This new box is Lenovo.)

I don't like the clutter... I like to make my own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Did you try right click, properties, open with ?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

You don't SFAIK. What's wrong with it? The metaphor seems fine
to me - you can open them as if they were folders without
resorting to PKZip or the like.

The XP Pro machine that died (ancient Enpower) didn't do that. Maybe
it's machine-brand dependent? (This new box is Lenovo.)

I don't like the clutter... I like to make my own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Did you try right click, properties, open with ?

That's not the problem. They're showing in as Folders. I only want
them to show as _files_.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Another annoyance...

By "annoyance", do you mean the problem or your question?

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

That's the default icon for a compressed archive. Windoze has a
miserable builtin zip/unzip program that handles zip files for you.
However, if you install a real zip/unzip program, such as 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org
not only will the icon change to something recognizable as a zip file,
but you'll be able to zip and unzip a much wider assortment of
compressed archives.

I have both WinZIP and WinRAR installed. I want the icon to go away

7zip will also do RAR files.

Something went wrong during the installation. You might want to try
and repair either Winzip or WinRAR. Go to the Control Panel, find
Winzip, and select "repair" if it's available.

If not, go to Windoze Explorer (right click on "start" and select
"explore). Tools - Folder Options - File Types
Scroll down to ZIP. It usually says "Compressed (zipped) folder".
Hit "change" and select which program you want to have the ZIP file
opened with. That should also change the icon.

I don't see why you don't like the standard icon. When dealing with
zip folders/files, I don't double click on the zip file. I use right
click on the zip file, and then select which zip program I want to use
to extract it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Crikey! It's NOT the icon that is the issue. The damned things are
showing as FOLDERS, thoroughly cluttering up Explorer. They're NOT
FOLDERS, they are FILES.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:12:09 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Crikey! It's NOT the icon that is the issue. The damned things are
showing as FOLDERS, thoroughly cluttering up Explorer. They're NOT
FOLDERS, they are FILES.

...Jim Thompson

Well, they look like folders with a zipper inside on my XP machine:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/zip-icons.jpg
Is that what you're seeing? If I change to
view - details
they look like files.

Incidentally, compressed archives are folders, not files.

If you think that your XP install has somehow been corrupted,
Microsoft fixit has an icon repair section:
Online:
http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
Download and install:
http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

You don't SFAIK. What's wrong with it? The metaphor seems fine
to me - you can open them as if they were folders without
resorting to PKZip or the like.

The XP Pro machine that died (ancient Enpower) didn't do that. Maybe
it's machine-brand dependent? (This new box is Lenovo.)

I don't like the clutter... I like to make my own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Did you try right click, properties, open with ?

That's not the problem. They're showing in as Folders. I only want
them to show as _files_.

...Jim Thompson

You may need to disable zipfldr.dll
If you feel comfortable here is a link on how.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...eature/5406791

Tom
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 8/9/2012 11:34 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

http://annoyances.org/
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

ControlPanel-FolderOptions

Select FileType Tab, Scroll to end for ZIP file and change the
default program from "Comprressed (zipped) Folder" to something else.

Cheers
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 8/9/2012 1:21 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Incidentally, compressed archives are folders, not files.

No, they are files. If you dig into the file allocation table you'll
find that a ZIP'd archive is stored as a file. It's not in the
directory table. Windows attempts to make life easier for the user by
treating them like a folder. Not something I care for either, so I
usually leave Windows showing details rather than icons.

A compressed archive my uncompress into both folders and files depending
on its content, but the archive itself is just a file.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

If not, go to Windoze Explorer (right click on "start" and select
"explore). Tools - Folder Options - File Types
Scroll down to ZIP. It usually says "Compressed (zipped) folder".
Hit "change" and select which program you want to have the ZIP file
opened with. That should also change the icon.

Argh. That didn't work. The check box that says "Always use the
selected program to open this type of file" is greyed out and cannot
be changed from the default "Compressed (zipped) folder". Although it
would correctly execute 7Zip when changed, the icons remained a folder
with a zipper inside. Sorry for the wrong suggestion.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Good god. That you'd have to go through this much trouble to disable
being forcibly subjected to what "metaphor" others have decided in their
infinite hubris is "best for you" is so pathetic.

I fear even Linux desktops are heading more and more in this direction
of thinking "we know best how you should think" for the user. In fact,
there is something deeper to this. This is becoming an entrenched
cultural paradigm. In its political manifestation it is called
"statism." The idea that nothing is individual. Everything, even how
you ****, is ultimately political.

Pre-ordained abstractions are NOT helpful. The bare minimum of default
abstraction is.

What works for me, on my existing Linux desktop, is that files and
folders are shown as they exist on the machine, with correct depiction
of their place within the / hierarchy. A .zip file is a .zip file. I
must take an explicit action to invoke any further automagic on that
..zip file, such as clicking it, which invokes a configurable action such
as THEN displaying it as a folder, or I may explicitly right click it,
select an action such as "extract here..." or "extract into folder ___".

What is useful, is that the OS has built-in the ability to extract said
file when I explicitly direct it. But the user should make the choice
of what action to take on a .zip or any file. There is never a correct
default action for this, so there should be no default action.

When I have a computer pull the kind of **** that Jim's Windoze is
doing, then I spend more time trying to figure out what is being hidden
from me and how to disable it than working. And that makes the machine
worse than useless.

Thanks a lot arrogant UI programmers who think they know best how I
should think!

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Another annoyance...

By "annoyance", do you mean the problem or your question?

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

That's the default icon for a compressed archive. Windoze has a
miserable builtin zip/unzip program that handles zip files for you.
However, if you install a real zip/unzip program, such as 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org
not only will the icon change to something recognizable as a zip file,
but you'll be able to zip and unzip a much wider assortment of
compressed archives.

I have both WinZIP and WinRAR installed. I want the icon to go away
;-)

...Jim Thompson

You need to accociate zip files with Win Zip. IIRC there is an options tab
that allows you to select this in WinZip (or it can be selected in
installation and should be selected by a default install).

If you can't find an option to select then unistall Win Zip and then do a
default install
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Crikey! It's NOT the icon that is the issue. The damned things are
showing as FOLDERS, thoroughly cluttering up Explorer. They're NOT
FOLDERS, they are FILES.

...Jim Thompson

Well, they look like folders with a zipper inside on my XP machine:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/zip-icons.jpg
Is that what you're seeing? If I change to
view - details
they look like files.

Incidentally, compressed archives are folders, not files.

If you think that your XP install has somehow been corrupted,
Microsoft fixit has an icon repair section:
Online:
http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
Download and install:
http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

You seem to pin all Windows' weirdness on "corruption" :-) Here's
what I'm getting, in "Details" mode:

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Folders_Files.jpg

Really annoying.

Surely there's some way to force them showing under the Files
section???

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 13:47:17 -0700, "Mr.CRC"
wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

I felt better just reading Mr.CRC's rant ;-)

And I agree with him. Microsoft is becoming an arm of the nanny state
:-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Tom! Only you understood what I am ranting about.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

ControlPanel-FolderOptions

Select FileType Tab, Scroll to end for ZIP file and change the
default program from "Comprressed (zipped) Folder" to something else.

Cheers

It shows as WinZIP _File_ :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

You don't SFAIK. What's wrong with it? The metaphor seems fine
to me - you can open them as if they were folders without
resorting to PKZip or the like.

The XP Pro machine that died (ancient Enpower) didn't do that. Maybe
it's machine-brand dependent? (This new box is Lenovo.)

Ah. Well, you have me there - I've never seen an XP box
that didn't do that.

I don't like the clutter... I like to make my own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

--
Les Cargill

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

I felt better just reading Mr.CRC's rant ;-)

And I agree with him. Microsoft is becoming an arm of the nanny state
:-(

...Jim Thompson

I also agree but my suggestion may help.

Tom

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Thanks again, Tom! Worked perfectly... ZIP _Folders_ no more ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

You seem to pin all Windows' weirdness on "corruption" :-) Here's
what I'm getting, in "Details" mode:

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Folders_Files.jpg

Really annoying.

Surely there's some way to force them showing under the Files
section???

I don't see this with winrar installed but not winzip, so it might be a
winzip feature. Even more likely because the icon is winzip's icon.

Why isn't 'Larkin'sAntiqueCounter.zip' on your website? I like antique
counters.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

That doesn't work. Tom Biasi nailed it in...

From: Tom Biasi
Newsgroups:
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics .design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Subject: Another annoyance
Amazing how Wimpows calls it a "Feature" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

ControlPanel-FolderOptions

Select FileType Tab, Scroll to end for ZIP file and change the
default program from "Comprressed (zipped) Folder" to something else.

Cheers

It shows as WinZIP _File_ :-(

...Jim Thompson

Then it must be a setting in winZip. what version is it?

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 18:50:41 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

You seem to pin all Windows' weirdness on "corruption" :-) Here's
what I'm getting, in "Details" mode:

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Folders_Files.jpg

Really annoying.

Surely there's some way to force them showing under the Files
section???

I don't see this with winrar installed but not winzip, so it might be a
winzip feature. Even more likely because the icon is winzip's icon.

Why isn't 'Larkin'sAntiqueCounter.zip' on your website? I like antique
counters.

John posted it. I found it, at my advanced age, quite amusing and
reminiscent. So I kept a copy. Should it be on _my_ website? If
John says OK I'll post it to the SED page.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

I felt better just reading Mr.CRC's rant ;-)

And I agree with him. Microsoft is becoming an arm of the nanny state
:-(

...Jim Thompson

I also agree but my suggestion may help.

Tom

It did, indeed!! Thanks again!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:04:47 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

ControlPanel-FolderOptions

Select FileType Tab, Scroll to end for ZIP file and change the
default program from "Comprressed (zipped) Folder" to something else.

Cheers

It shows as WinZIP _File_ :-(

...Jim Thompson

Then it must be a setting in winZip. what version is it?

Cheers

OLD! Like everything I like... WinZIP v8.1 SR-1 :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

I felt better just reading Mr.CRC's rant ;-)

And I agree with him. Microsoft is becoming an arm of the nanny state
:-(

...Jim Thompson

I also agree but my suggestion may help.

Tom

It did, indeed!! Thanks again!

...Jim Thompson

My pleasure Jim.
No charge. Not that I could get anything anyway :-)

Tom
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

I felt better just reading Mr.CRC's rant ;-)

And I agree with him. Microsoft is becoming an arm of the nanny state
:-(

...Jim Thompson

I also agree but my suggestion may help.

Tom

It did, indeed!! Thanks again!

...Jim Thompson

My pleasure Jim.
No charge. Not that I could get anything anyway :-)

Tom

Where do you lurk? I could spring for beer or wine if I'm in your
location.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

I felt better just reading Mr.CRC's rant ;-)

And I agree with him. Microsoft is becoming an arm of the nanny state
:-(

...Jim Thompson

I also agree but my suggestion may help.

Tom

It did, indeed!! Thanks again!

...Jim Thompson

My pleasure Jim.
No charge. Not that I could get anything anyway :-)

Tom

Where do you lurk? I could spring for beer or wine if I'm in your
location.

...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Jersey.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

None of the newsgroups you're posting to are ones concerned with your
new operating system, or hardware.

There are some issues with products that are back-installed to XP from
Win7 or some other original factory-installed OS revs. If your WinZip
and WinRar program file associations were not accepted when you
installed them, this could be one of the issues, and may require some
poking.

Did you instal the WXPpro OS yourself? If not....

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Another annoyance...

Bringing up new PC (XP Pro), Windows Explorer wants to show zip-files
as if they were folders :-(

How do I turn that off?

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

None of the newsgroups you're posting to are ones concerned with your
new operating system, or hardware.

There are some issues with products that are back-installed to XP from
Win7 or some other original factory-installed OS revs. If your WinZip
and WinRar program file associations were not accepted when you
installed them, this could be one of the issues, and may require some
poking.

Did you instal the WXPpro OS yourself? If not....

RL

Sorry to be nasty, but that's my better half, you'd clearly didn't
read the thread.

As for appropriate newsgroups, aren't my posts just as apropos as
Larkin's or Slowman's ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
Feel better?

Yes.

:-D

I felt better just reading Mr.CRC's rant ;-)

And I agree with him. Microsoft is becoming an arm of the nanny state
:-(

...Jim Thompson

I also agree but my suggestion may help.

Tom

It did, indeed!! Thanks again!

...Jim Thompson

My pleasure Jim.
No charge. Not that I could get anything anyway :-)

Tom

Where do you lurk? I could spring for beer or wine if I'm in your
location.

...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Jersey.

My condolences ;-) I've been known to be on Long Island from
time-to-time... in fact it's looking likely again, since I recently
showed up the engineering staff of a certain company out there by
single-handedly designing all the analog portions of a chip (*) that
came up working perfectly... no re-spin required.

(*) uP courtesy of Cadence.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:

[...]

We just sent down some one to Long Island the other day and most
likely one of us will be there again sometime next week..

Not that I am a big fan of going to Long Island however, when you need
an irradiation beam tube assembly put to gather and picked up, that is
just about the only reason we'd be there.. I really don't like the
terrain there.

Something on a different note, kind of puts a new perspective on how
we got blind sided the last few years.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/H3Az0okaHig?rel=0

Jamie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
[...]

If you hurry you can be here for the Hurricane season and the next earth
quake.

Cheers

Firefox 4 Annoyance Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 2 April 6th 11 07:27 PM
Circular saw annoyance Bob[_40_] UK diy 29 September 17th 09 09:35 AM
A slight annoyance I have CJC UK diy 21 January 19th 07 03:34 PM
Baxi Boiler annoyance lemonpillows UK diy 2 January 9th 05 06:12 PM
Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 10:12 PM