Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Do they make bottle jacks to use horizontally?

On Aug 8, 6:20*pm, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 8/8/12 2:11 PM, wrote: I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position,
until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something
horizontally. *The jack did not function. *I grabbed another jack and
found the same problem. *I researched this, and found that these jacks
are not meant to be used on their sides, and learned the reason, which
is all because the fluid must be on the bottom to operate.

* * *Cut rest due to AIOE quoting limitations.

* *I've used what look like regular bottle jacks sideways without any
problem. *It's automatic for me to put the handle side down. *I had no
idea there were special ones for horizontal use.

Yep. As long as the pump side is down they will work. Some of them
you don't even have to have the pump down.

Harry K