Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Beginners Poly Application/Tack Cloth question

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 01:39:20 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:

Making a "$100 honing strop" was mostly about getting a lesson--and I
was a benefactor of several excellent ones besides what I learned
myself! My favorite part was using my Nicholson rasp for the first time.

Good rasps are a far cry from the deep-toothed cousins from Asia,
aren't they? They're a joy to use instead of an onerous task.

Yes, I feel like I've barely tapped the rasp's potential to express.
This is good because I have a challenging task, an 1830's-circa
minstrel-style banjo, in mind for it. Some of the shaping involved is
not so much different than, say, that of a honing strop. : ) And hey, I
just realized, I have almost 7 feet of Hard Maple left over from my
honing strop project! Hmmm...

Other than it being too short by half (black muck will quickly cover
it), it's shore purty. Is that a decal you glued to one side of the
leather?!

The leather is just on one side, but I can always put some on the other
side.

I just included the woodcarving club patch in the photo for artisic
purposes and because it seemed like the right thing to do. I sent a
link to my web page to three of the club members.

My 2 woodcarving knives didn't fit the picture, and my gouges aren't
pretty enough--at least not yet. I could have included my old Stanley
#45 combination plane in the picture, but then no one would have noticed
my strop!
I'm a beginning photo-taker, but I think I have more artistic sense than
my neighbor's dog. I'm sure my photography skills will improve with
more practice. I been practicing my web site building skills using
Macromedia Dreamweaver so you may have a better experience when you
visit my web site in the future. I learned how to put a couple of
buttons at the top of the page. I'm not sure if it will create "tabs"...

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.

BTW, I can sort of identify with your quote above. Does that reveal
anything about me? Denial??? : )

Bill