Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My backup generator solution....

"ATP" wrote in message

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
The 3KW generator starts three of my 1/2HP motors and my window A/C
only if they aren't loaded, i.e. with manual intervention. I tried
a neighbor's similar Powermate 6KW generator and found that it
could produce no more current at 120V, it seemed like two separate
3KW windings in series to give 6KW at 240V.

jsw

http://mayberrys.com/honda/generator/html/120-240.htm

Did it have a 120/240 switch?

A 5KW generator that costs $2500 should know to start up -before- the
power fails.

The Powermates don't even have voltage regulators, they control engine
speed. AFAICT the windings are like a center-tapped transformer,
permanently connected at the neutral.