Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Aldi Update

jkn wrote
Mike Barnes wrote

Do they actually make it form scratch though? I thought all they
do is finish off part baked bread, the sort you buy yourself out on
the shelves. It will stil be produced for them in an industrial scale.

Interesting that supermarket bakeries often have fresh yeast bricks
available for sale if you ask, but they're not out on the shelves.
They're presumably used in the bakery for something.

Maybe, but they still use variations of the dreaded 'Chorleywood'
process, which uses high concentrations of yeast, manual aeration,
and additives etc. to give fast throughput, long shelf life etc.

There is some evidence that consumption of bread
made with these 'modern' methods is a cause of
the rise in coeilac deseases, gluten intolerance, etc.

This compared with artisanal methods which use small amounts
of yeast, long fermentation times, no additives etc., which gives
a much nice 'proper' loaf apart from anything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process

(I have just bought an expensive baking stone for my oven and am
enjoying learning more about making slow fermentation breads...)

I prefer to use a bread machine myself and refuse to bother with
any of the Chorleywood or other industrial breads if I have a choice.

Its actually less work to get a loaf with the bread
machine than to get it from the hot bread shop.