Bruce

Default 14" Grizzly G0555 vs. Delta 28-276 ?? 14" bandsaw

In rec.woodworking
"Grant" wrote:

The Delta 28-276 that was $399 at Lowes, I'm not sure exactly yet what
features it comes with. It was stickered "made in USA" on it, but I've
searched Google and some were saying that it is overseas made. But the
Delta 28-776 seems prefered to the 14" Ridgid by posters here.

But reviews searched on Google here at rec.woodworking praise the guide
assembly on the Delta.

Anyone here want to chime in on the Delta 28-276 vs. the Grizzly G0555? Or
even vs. the 14" Ridgid that is at Home Depot?

I LOVE my Grizzly G0555. I have never used the Delta but a quick glance at
the one in Lowes assures me that for less money (shipping was $55 but
between sales tax and the lower $375 price) I got MORE saw. I purchased
the riser kit at the same time. I have resawed 9.5" hard maple, oak,
walnut and more with very little trouble. I use Olsen AllPro and MVP
blades.

My only complaints are that the tension spring is too weak to tension a
3/4" blade. What I've learned is that I don't need a 3/4" blade to resaw
successfully. I still intend on buying a heavier spring in the future.
FWIW, the Delta won't tension the 3/4" blade either.

The other complaint is that it is pretty hard to get to the bottom guides
with the allen wrench. I change blades a lot and I can swap a blade and
readjust everything in about 5 mins so it isn't a big deal but that is the
part that takes the longest.

The fence is nice but you will want to build a taller attachment for
support if you do resawing thicker than about 6". The dust collection
works great. It is quiet and smooth. The quick release tensioner is
great, if you remember to use it.

As that link shows you, assembly is not bad at all, the saw is assembled
completley, just put the base together and mount it. The one flaw they
point out about the guide arm not centering has been fixed on my saw. They
now use a bearing and spring. Believe me because I was on my hands and
knees looking for it one night :-)

Bruce