Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Motion Sensor Light

I have two Regent Motion sensor lights outside. Last night the
electricity went out for about 3 seconds. Both lights came on and stayed
on all night. One of them went off when the sun came up. Then other one
is still on. Anyone know hoe to reset this light. It has a sensitivity
knob and a switch that says test, 4 min, 12 min on the back. I do not
have a switch for the lights they are wired direct. Any ideas?

I've had the same problem intermittently.
Gotta pull the plug to reset 'em.
That's what circuit breakers are for.

Most of these consumer-type outdoor sensor lights seem to have this
behavior in common:

- Switch them off for a few seconds and turn them back on, and they
light up and stay lit indefinitely.

- Switch them off for 10-20 seconds and then on again, and they'll
(usually) light up briefly, and then switch off and go back to
motion-sensing.

This seems to be a designed-in feature - a "manual override" to allow
the motion-sensing feature to be temporarily disabled and turn them
into ordinary manually-controlled lights.

Hence, wiring them into a circuit without some form of manual switch
isn't the best idea in the world.

Switching the light to "test" briefly, and then back to the 4- or
12-minute position, may very well reset them, just as turning the
power off would do.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO