Junior Member

Default Motion Sensor Light

I have two Regent Motion sensor lights outside. Last night the electricity went out for about 3 seconds. Both lights came on and stayed on all night. One of them went off when the sun came up. Then other one is still on. Anyone know hoe to reset this light. It has a sensitivity knob and a switch that says test, 4 min, 12 min on the back. I do not have a switch for the lights they are wired direct. Any ideas?

Last edited by dvrslim : August 6th 12 at 05:47 PM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 16:42:16 +0000, dvrslim
wrote:

I have two Regent Motion sensor lights outside. Last night the
electricity went out for about 3 seconds. Both lights came on and stayed
on all night. One of them went off when the sun came up. Then other one
is still on. Anyone know hoe to reset this light. It has a sensitivity
knob and a switch that says test, 4 min, 12 min on the back. I do not
have a switch for the lights they are wired direct. Any ideas?

Some of these lights are designed with a "keep the light on" feature
that is activated by ... turning off the power just for a few seconds.
You should be able to return it to normal operation by just switching it
off for, say, 30 seconds or so and then turning it back on.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/6/2012 9:42 AM, dvrslim wrote:
I have two Regent Motion sensor lights outside. Last night the
electricity went out for about 3 seconds. Both lights came on and stayed
on all night. One of them went off when the sun came up. Then other one
is still on. Anyone know hoe to reset this light. It has a sensitivity
knob and a switch that says test, 4 min, 12 min on the back. I do not
have a switch for the lights they are wired direct. Any ideas?

I don't know about that Make but my older Zenith lights require you to
turn off the power to the fixture for ten seconds, then on again, to
reset the circuit. You'd probably have to turn off the breaker to do
that. The 4 and 12 minute switch indicates how long the light stays on
when motion-triggered after dark. Set the sensitivity for the distance
of the object (a person, not your dog) you want to sense. Lastly, the
fixture has to be physically aimed to eliminate false triggering.

Ray

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/6/2012 9:42 AM, dvrslim wrote:
I have two Regent Motion sensor lights outside. Last night the
electricity went out for about 3 seconds. Both lights came on and stayed
on all night. One of them went off when the sun came up. Then other one
is still on. Anyone know hoe to reset this light. It has a sensitivity
knob and a switch that says test, 4 min, 12 min on the back. I do not
have a switch for the lights they are wired direct. Any ideas?

I've had the same problem intermittently.
Gotta pull the plug to reset 'em.
That's what circuit breakers are for.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have two Regent Motion sensor lights outside. Last night the
electricity went out for about 3 seconds. Both lights came on and stayed
on all night. One of them went off when the sun came up. Then other one
is still on. Anyone know hoe to reset this light. It has a sensitivity
knob and a switch that says test, 4 min, 12 min on the back. I do not
have a switch for the lights they are wired direct. Any ideas?

I've had the same problem intermittently.
Gotta pull the plug to reset 'em.
That's what circuit breakers are for.

Most of these consumer-type outdoor sensor lights seem to have this
behavior in common:

- Switch them off for a few seconds and turn them back on, and they
light up and stay lit indefinitely.

- Switch them off for 10-20 seconds and then on again, and they'll
(usually) light up briefly, and then switch off and go back to
motion-sensing.

This seems to be a designed-in feature - a "manual override" to allow
the motion-sensing feature to be temporarily disabled and turn them
into ordinary manually-controlled lights.

Hence, wiring them into a circuit without some form of manual switch
isn't the best idea in the world.

Switching the light to "test" briefly, and then back to the 4- or
12-minute position, may very well reset them, just as turning the
power off would do.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dvrslim wrote

I have two Regent Motion sensor lights outside. Last night the
electricity went out for about 3 seconds. Both lights came on and stayed
on all night. One of them went off when the sun came up. Then other one
is still on. Anyone know hoe to reset this light. It has a sensitivity
knob and a switch that says test, 4 min, 12 min on the back. I do not
have a switch for the lights they are wired direct. Any ideas?

Turn them off by pulling the breaker/fuse in the main distribution box.

Wait for a minute or so, some of them have a decent sized
cap in them that can take a bit of time to discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Have you tried simply opening the breaker that feeds them for a few minutes?