Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul D Smith Paul D Smith is offline

Default Honing guides

"MM" wrote in message
Further to my query about the scary sharp method of honing using
wet-or-dry, I have to admit that my old Eclipse 36 honing guide is
pretty crap, really. It's a real pain to get the chisel at the right
projection AND square in the guide.

Now, I've heard a lot about the Veritas Mark II honing guide and
looked it up on Amazon. Talk about falling off one's chair! A few
pence shy of £54! Man, that's expensive. But is it worth it?

Looks like a decent, precision made tool, however.

I did get a good result in the end from my Eclipse, but it takes a
fair bit of trial and error to get that chisel sitting just right.
Probably easier for plane blades.

MM

FWIW I've used one of these Stanley guides...

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CFgQ8wIwAA

....successfully. It took a little getting used to (and reading the
instructions - bah!) but I managed to get all my chisels very nicely
sharpened, even the ones which were very abused removing floorboards where
they hit nails, bits or plaster etc and were in a shocking state.

Aside - the bedroom wall was built over the ends of the floorboards which
were then hacked to death by generations of plumbers and electricians until
short lengths (the bits they could not get out) were left under the wall. I
had to split the floorboards to get them off the nails through the
wall/floorboard/joist and then notch the ends of the new boards around the
nails.

Paul DS.