Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Honing guides

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:37:23 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

fred wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2012 6:57:11 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:
Further to my query about the scary sharp method of honing using

wet-or-dry, I have to admit that my old Eclipse 36 honing guide is

pretty crap, really. It's a real pain to get the chisel at the right

projection AND square in the guide.

Now, I've heard a lot about the Veritas Mark II honing guide and

looked it up on Amazon. Talk about falling off one's chair! A few

pence shy of £54! Man, that's expensive. But is it worth it?

Looks like a decent, precision made tool, however.

I did get a good result in the end from my Eclipse, but it takes a

fair bit of trial and error to get that chisel sitting just right.

Probably easier for plane blades.

MM

Also check out the Richard Kell honing guide. It may answers your problem. Lee Valley tools are generally quite good, You can buy direct, though anything other than standard surface shipping, which can take a few weeks, costs so much its not worth it.

You are on the slippery slope here. Searching for the mystical sharpest edge. Shaving your arms. Slicing through loose sheets of paper. In the middle of this you might lose sight of the actual use of the tool.

I've seen serious discussions of the surface to be used for the scary sharp method where the flatness of plate glass was brought into question as the process of making float glass depends on gravity so in reality any sheet of plate glass is going to follow the curvature of the earth.

Are the days gone when a carpenter just had a grinder and a stone? I
suspect the professional carpenter still does, and the home workshop and
diy carpenter faffles about with expensive sharpening toys.

Crikey, a grinder and a stone?!! We're not sharpening garden shears
here!

MM