Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?

stuart noble wrote:
On 04/08/2012 17:21, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2012 09:20, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote

I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our
medals are won by Public school attendees.

Why ?

Because the vast majority of kids don't get the same
opportunity.

They don't with everything else like their parent's
attitude either.

So what.

Because any decent society wants the best for ALL kids, not
just the rich
ones.

Pity no one has ever been able to work out how to achieve that,
and won't ever be able to do that anyway on genetics alone.

If they did, we'd do a lot better still.

Who cares about stupid **** like that ? Only fools.

So physical well-being doesn't matter ?

The olympics ain't about physical well being.

That why we're getting more unhealthy after years of
improvement.

Wrong. Not only aren't we getting more unhealthy, the problem
when we aren't is due to obesity, not because not enough are
actually stupid enough to bother with stuff like the olympics.

I agree that sport has too higher profile in respect to other
achievements, i.e. engineering,

Anything else in fact.

but that doesn't make it stupid.

Giving a damn about how many medals each country gets certainly
is.
Giving awards like Sir and Lord for getting a Gold medal IS
ridiculous,

And so is getting a medal in the first place.

the medal should suffice.

It is in fact completely stupid.

Pffffffft, that's cos the ozzies are doing poorly.

I just noticed they had a chance of a bronze in the cycling... so
they are not all like wodders...

(mind you, the UK girls pursuit team have just broken five world
records in five consecutive rides ;-)

I have no idea what a girls pursuit team does, and I suspect I am not
alone

It could be an olympic sport or it could be the final moments when a
Rotherham nightclub is about to closedown for the night and the DJ puts on
Lady in Red.

--
Adam