Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?

Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the
organisation of the Olympics has been very good so far

Like hell they are on the number of empty seats alone.

Seats which were "sold" by the organisers (as required by their
contract) to the OIC and various sports federations. Unwanted seats in
those blocks are now being sold to the public.

Complete and utter shambles in fact.

Far from it.

with the result that people are happy at the venues etc.

Pity about the ones that couldn’t get the tickets for those empty seats.

They can now, see above.

Of course there has been the odd breakdown on the underground,

Shouldn’t have happened if the system had been designed right.

(1) The underground was never "designed" as a unit, it is a collection
of systems that just happen to be operated under the same organisation.
(2) It is better than 99.9% reliable, which is pretty good, given the
average age of its parts, and the fact that they are running more
services, with heavier loads, at less headway than usual.
(3) There are enough buses on standby to cover any public transport
breakdowns within very tight schedules. Which is why a lot of bus and
coach drivers are being paid loadsamoney to sit round all day waiting
for a phone call...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
On 03/08/12 22:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

The Aussies are not doing very well:-)

I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our medals are won by
Public school attendees. Pretty poor reflection on sport in State
schools.

Possibly due to the type of events. Rowing and sailing.

I'd also suggest that national league tables have become almost
meaningless, as competitors are now almost traded as a commodity with
good runners from Africa for example, now representing very disparate
countries. With the world going the way it is, perhaps it's time to
dump the nationalistic fervour and concentrate on the individual
achievement.

Zola Budd?

Personally I think that's a sad, even unsafe development but it seems
an inevitable outcome.

Now who will you support when interstellar transport is available and we are
Team Earth?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:
I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the organisation of
the Olympics has been very good so far with the result that people are
happy at the venues etc. Of course there has been the odd breakdown on the
underground, but apparently the back up systems and staff have been
informed about them.
Lets hope all of this good practice and helpfulness is not forgotten after
its all over.

Brian

I was mightily impressed that after leaving the Olympic park last night I
was able to walk to West Ham station and step straight on to a train with
no queuing. London transport at its best.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

Giving a damn about how many medals each country gets certainly is.

Given your misappropriate patriotism on near everything else,

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys/lies.

Only a fool wouldn’t be able to grasp that a country with
more than 3 times as many people wouldn’t have at least
3 times as many fools actually stupid enough to waste
their time on something as stupid as the olympics.

You qualify in spades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Only a fool wouldnt be able to grasp that a country with
more than 3 times as many people wouldnt have at least
3 times as many fools actually stupid enough to waste
their time on something as stupid as the olympics.

You must be very stupid if you think the population of a country has a
direct bearing on this. But then we know you are very stupid.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

On 8/3/2012 6:03 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

+1

Particularly the English language - when al else has faded, that one
remains.

I personally believe we could be great as a nation. We have the talent
available. What is holding us back is the fact the management at all levels
from the government downwards is majority staffed by self serving
incompetants.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the
organisation of the Olympics has been very good so far

Like hell they are on the number of empty seats alone.

Seats which were "sold" by the organisers (as required by their contract)
to the OIC and various sports federations.

Another bare faced lie.

Unwanted seats in those blocks are now being sold to the public.

And that should have happened before the olympics had even started, stupid.

Complete and utter shambles in fact.

Far from it.

Complete and utter shambles in fact.

with the result that people are happy at the venues etc.

Pity about the ones that couldn’t get the tickets for those empty seats.

They can now, see above.

Should have happened before the olympics had even started, see above.

Of course there has been the odd breakdown on the underground,

Shouldn’t have happened if the system had been designed right.

(1) The underground was never "designed" as a unit,

Irrelevant to whether it would have happened
if the particular bits had been designed right.

it is a collection of systems that just happen to be operated under the
same organisation.

Irrelevant to whether it would have happened
if the particular bits had been designed right.

(2) It is better than 99.9% reliable,

Pity other rail systems had no failures at all during their olympics.

which is pretty good, given the average age of its parts,

The fools running that system should have considered that
and fixed what problems there were before the olympics.

and the fact that they are running more services, with heavier loads, at
less headway than usual.

The fools running that system should have considered that
and fixed what problems there were before the olympics.

(3) There are enough buses on standby to cover any public transport
breakdowns within very tight schedules. Which is why a lot of bus and
coach drivers are being paid loadsamoney to sit round all day waiting for
a phone call...

Still a complete and utter abortion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote
Andy Cap wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our medals are won by Public
school attendees. Pretty poor reflection on sport in State schools.

Possibly due to the type of events. Rowing and sailing.

Fraid not.

I'd also suggest that national league tables have become almost
meaningless, as competitors are now almost traded as a commodity with
good runners from Africa for example, now representing very disparate
countries. With the world going the way it is, perhaps it's time to
dump the nationalistic fervour and concentrate on the individual
achievement.

Zola Budd?

Who ?

Personally I think that's a sad, even unsafe development but it seems an
inevitable outcome.

Now who will you support when interstellar transport is available

Won't happen.

and we are Team Earth?

And that in spades.

And even if it did, no one, nada, ziltch, just like now.

I'm not that stupid, even if fools like you are that stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
just the puerile **** that’s all it can ever manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote
S Viemeister wrote
Tim Streater wrote

Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

+1

Particularly the English language - when
al else has faded, that one remains.

Bit it isnt a patch on the industrial revolution alone.

I personally believe we could be great as a nation.

That soggy little island once was.

We have the talent available.

Its very far from clear that its that that matters on that.

What is holding us back is the fact the management at all levels from the
government downwards is majority staffed by self serving incompetants.

That's always been the case. Didn't stop the industrial revolution from
happening anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
just the puerile **** that’s all it can ever manage.

LMFAO, well done, Dave. You just might have managed to get on his plonk list

Hilarious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Hey wodney, ever thought that your attempts to wind people up, just don't
work?
LMFAO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

On 8/3/2012 6:03 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

+1

Particularly the English language - when al else has faded, that one
remains.

I personally believe we could be great as a nation. We have the talent
available. What is holding us back is the fact the management at all levels
from the government downwards is majority staffed by self serving
incompetants.

yeah. People who can't spell incompetent really get one's goat.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 00:37:32 +0100, Jim Newman wrote:

Do let us know how you personally helped any of the medal winning heroes.

Oh look, it's a wanking chimpanzee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 08:29:14 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

Giving awards like Sir and Lord for getting a Gold medal IS ridiculous,
the medal should suffice.

I agree. Mind you, the sporting knighthood goes back a ways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Giving awards like Sir and Lord for getting a Gold medal IS ridiculous,
the medal should suffice.

I agree. Mind you, the sporting knighthood goes back a ways.

and it doesn't cost the state anything. As am American classmate said to
me "what a wonderful idea, at home we have to give them money."

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
just the puerile **** thats all it can ever manage.

Has dribble emigrated?

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim.....
scribeth thus
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

------------

Yeah, but I don't think we should make a league table of it

Jeez!,

Aren't we doing well, seeing the size and population of the two table
leaders..

Best little country on gods good earth)...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Newman wrote:
On 03/08/2012 22:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

The Aussies are not doing very well:-)

The vainglorious brit who has done **** all himself but wonders if
he's the 'only person feeling proud' is a real object of pity

Nothing positive to post then?

--
Adam

+
That's positive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Newman wrote:
On 03/08/2012 22:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

The Aussies are not doing very well:-)

The vainglorious brit who has done **** all himself but wonders if
he's the 'only person feeling proud' is a real object of pity

Nothing positive to post then?

--
Adam

+
That's positive.

Not in dennisworld:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

On 8/3/2012 6:03 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

+1

Particularly the English language - when al else has faded, that one
remains.

I personally believe we could be great as a nation. We have the talent
available. What is holding us back is the fact the management at all
levels from the government downwards is majority staffed by self
serving incompetants.

yeah. People who can't spell incompetent really get one's goat.

There is a certain irony in being criticized by TNP on the subject of
accuracy in written communications ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Newman wrote:

If acting like a **** was an olympic sport then you would win a gold

--
Adam

Steady on Adam. ****s are useful.

I think you are preaching to the converted ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 09:20, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote

I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our medals are won by
Public school attendees.

Why ?

Because the vast majority of kids don't get the same opportunity.

They don't with everything else like their parent's attitude either.

So what.

Because any decent society wants the best for ALL kids, not just the rich
ones.

Pity no one has ever been able to work out how to achieve that,
and won't ever be able to do that anyway on genetics alone.

If they did, we'd do a lot better still.

Who cares about stupid **** like that ? Only fools.

So physical well-being doesn't matter ?

The olympics ain't about physical well being.

That why we're getting more unhealthy after years of improvement.

Wrong. Not only aren't we getting more unhealthy, the problem
when we aren't is due to obesity, not because not enough are
actually stupid enough to bother with stuff like the olympics.

I agree that sport has too higher profile in respect to other
achievements, i.e. engineering,

Anything else in fact.

but that doesn't make it stupid.

Giving a damn about how many medals each country gets certainly is.

Giving awards like Sir and Lord for getting a Gold medal IS ridiculous,

And so is getting a medal in the first place.

the medal should suffice.

It is in fact completely stupid.

Pffffffft, that's cos the ozzies are doing poorly.

I just noticed they had a chance of a bronze in the cycling... so they
are not all like wodders...

(mind you, the UK girls pursuit team have just broken five world records
in five consecutive rides ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
just the puerile **** thats all it can ever manage.

Has dribble emigrated?

Compared to wodney, dribble had class! (never thought those words would
go together in a sentence that did not also include "back of the")

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our medals are won by Public
school attendees. Pretty poor reflection on sport in State schools.

Not many state schools have their own private lake to practice rowing on.

Probably also worth noting that if you have a particular talent in some
of these sports, that is not unusual to get a scholarship to whichever
public school is particularly well equipped to develop that talent.
Hence there will be some skew toward the private sector anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 10:19, John Williamson wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Shouldn’t have happened if the system had been designed right.

(1) The underground was never "designed" as a unit, it is a collection
of systems that just happen to be operated under the same organisation.

Bits of it were running when aus as a nation was not even as old as
wodney ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/08/2012 09:20, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote

[...]

C'mon Team GB.
*whisper* Andy Murray is now up for 2 gold matches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 23:38, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/3/2012 6:03 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

+1

+another one (except for recent mis-uses of the English language!)
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 17:21, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2012 09:20, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote

[...]

I have no idea what a girls pursuit team does, and I suspect I am not alone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 00:18, ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[snip]

I am, but my pride is rooted in what this country has achieved in
fields other than the sporting, except to the extent that we invented
a number of sports.

Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

Are they Olympic sports?

No. Did anyone say they were?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
John Williamson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the
organisation of the Olympics has been very good so far

Like hell they are on the number of empty seats alone.

Seats which were "sold" by the organisers (as required by their
contract) to the OIC and various sports federations.

Another bare faced lie.

Then you obviously think that the BBC, the IOC and LOCOG are all lying.

The provision is in the original bid documents, just as they were for
the Sydney Games in 2000.

Complete and utter shambles in fact.

Far from it.

Complete and utter shambles in fact.

Even the press here have been impressed by the organisation of the
Games, and all it takes for The Sun to have a go is a hint that
something *might* have the possibility of going slightly wrong...

Of course there has been the odd breakdown on the underground,

Shouldn’t have happened if the system had been designed right.

(1) The underground was never "designed" as a unit,

Irrelevant to whether it would have happened
if the particular bits had been designed right.

Like the Sydney equivalent?

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/stories/s162615.htm

You have a short memory, don't you?

(It's a link to a story about the problematic rail transport for the
Sydney Games in 2000)

Another:-

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...oly-rails.html

Bear in mind that the Sydney system is less than a quarter of the size
of the London Underground, was carrying less than a fifth of the
passenger load and still didn't get fixed in time... After four days, we
had already passed the total passenger numbers for the Sydney Olympic
and Paralympic Games.

(2) It is better than 99.9% reliable,

Pity other rail systems had no failures at all during their olympics.

Short memory you've got there, or weren't you alive during the Sydney
Games? They had rail and bus problem on most days.

I could, no doubt, come up with similar stories about *every* Olympics
or other major event.

which is pretty good, given the average age of its parts,

The fools running that system should have considered that
and fixed what problems there were before the olympics.

Is speechless (Knowing very well that *all* public transport systems
break down in some way every single day).

(3) There are enough buses on standby to cover any public transport
breakdowns within very tight schedules. Which is why a lot of bus and
coach drivers are being paid loadsamoney to sit round all day waiting
for a phone call...

Still a complete and utter abortion.

Described by at least one person I know who has been there as "London
Transport at its best", when he walked out of the Stadium to the nearest
railway station after the event he was watching and got straight onto a
train, which got him to his destination on time eactly as expected. Just
like 99.9% of the others.

The only problem that's made the headlines here was when a coach driver
from out of town got lost, and took too long to get a group of American
athletes to their accommodation. That's thirty or forty passengers out
of about three million so far with a minor problem.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 03/08/12 22:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

The Aussies are not doing very well:-)

I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our medals are won by Public
school attendees. Pretty poor reflection on sport in State schools.

Perhaps you have cause and effect the wrong way round.

It's pretty clear that rowing is a "posh boys" sport but cycling?

It could just be that boys from well to do families, who just happen to be
good at sport, have parents who can fund them, whereas normal people don't.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 03/08/2012 23:38, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/3/2012 6:03 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

+1

+another one (except for recent mis-uses of the English language!)

{,} comma.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Newman wrote:
On 03/08/2012 22:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

The Aussies are not doing very well:-)

The vainglorious brit who has done **** all himself but wonders if
he's the 'only person feeling proud' is a real object of pity

Nothing positive to post then?

--
Adam

+
That's positive.

Not in dennisworld:-)

--
Adam

I have recently learnt that these symbols actually mean something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 04/08/2012 17:21, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2012 09:20, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote

[...]

It could be an olympic sport or it could be the final moments when a
Rotherham nightclub is about to closedown for the night and the DJ puts on
Lady in Red.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 03/08/12 22:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

The Aussies are not doing very well:-)

I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our medals are won by
Public school attendees. Pretty poor reflection on sport in State
schools.

Perhaps you have cause and effect the wrong way round.

It's pretty clear that rowing is a "posh boys" sport but cycling?

It could just be that boys from well to do families, who just happen
to be good at sport, have parents who can fund them, whereas normal
people don't.
tim

A painter and decorators daughter has a chance of gold tonight.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:
"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Don't forget the aftershave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 18:52, ARWadsworth wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
On 04/08/2012 17:21, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2012 09:20, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Cap wrote

[...]

Ah, throwing up you mean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

On 8/3/2012 6:03 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
Personally I'd rate us more by achievements in science, engineering,
democracy, exploration, literature, and the English language.

+1

Particularly the English language - when al else has faded, that one
remains.

I personally believe we could be great as a nation. We have the talent
available. What is holding us back is the fact the management at all
levels from the government downwards is majority staffed by self serving
incompetants.

yeah. People who can't spell incompetent really get one's goat.

Thus spake Mr Dyslexia! ;-
--
Tim Watts

TOT; Proud Dad! The Medway Handyman UK diy 9 November 19th 10 09:03 PM
TOT; Proud Dad! Jules[_2_] UK diy 0 December 1st 09 09:51 PM
TOT; Proud Dad! Steve Walker UK diy 0 December 1st 09 09:31 PM
TOT; Proud Dad! Lino expert UK diy 0 December 1st 09 07:51 PM
Proud of myself T.Alan Kraus Metalworking 17 January 27th 06 05:35 PM