Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?

Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the
organisation of the Olympics has been very good so far

Like hell they are on the number of empty seats alone.

Seats which were "sold" by the organisers (as required by their
contract) to the OIC and various sports federations. Unwanted seats in
those blocks are now being sold to the public.

Complete and utter shambles in fact.

Far from it.

with the result that people are happy at the venues etc.

Pity about the ones that couldn’t get the tickets for those empty seats.

They can now, see above.

Of course there has been the odd breakdown on the underground,

Shouldn’t have happened if the system had been designed right.

(1) The underground was never "designed" as a unit, it is a collection
of systems that just happen to be operated under the same organisation.
(2) It is better than 99.9% reliable, which is pretty good, given the
average age of its parts, and the fact that they are running more
services, with heavier loads, at less headway than usual.
(3) There are enough buses on standby to cover any public transport
breakdowns within very tight schedules. Which is why a lot of bus and
coach drivers are being paid loadsamoney to sit round all day waiting
for a phone call...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.