Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginners Poly Application/Tack Cloth question

Bill wrote:

Yes, it's now a low spot, but it was not low until I passed sandpaper
over it after the 2nd coat. I think (what you're saying) is that I
want to sand the "edges" of the divot I created. Maybe steel wool?

No - do not use steel wool. Use more of the same sandpaper that you had
used, but be careful not to let your finger pressure create divots. Use the
pads of your fingers and light pressure. Let time at work be your friend,
and not pressure - until you get a handle on this stuff. Or - like I said,
use a paint stick or a sanding block to get it back to flat. Until you
learn the pressure in your fingers, you are best to use a block. Even after
you do learn this, you will want to use a block. I still use blocks and
sticks to level out a surface, and I have a lot of experience at this stuff.

I have to wait the "customary 24 hours", before I sand anyway, so I'll
see what others suggest too. It's not like there is a lot at stake
here, as I could sand all of the finish off in a few minutes (just
losing my "finishing time")--but I'd like to try to fix it as a matter
of principle. Time==Money, I doubt most pros would start over.

You could use steel wool or something else (scotch pads) to get down into
the divot, but you'll still have a divot, and that's why I suggest the
things I do above.

--

-Mike-
.