Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Amish and OSB

Huge wrote
polygonum wrote

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining
the Amish house on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two
centuries old (in technology terms) is too modern. But
that is very likely based on much ignorance.

There are a number of sub-sects of Amish. The ones you see on TV are
always the more moderate ones, since the "hard line" Amish, who eschew
most modern technology, will not allow themselves to be filmed.

And even the more relaxed of them have stupid rules on the colors
you can have your horse drawn things painted, and what color
braces etc you can wear. Completely off with the ****ing fairys.

Indeed, some of the "Amish" I have seen on TV are not, strictly speaking,
Amish at all, but families who have been "shunned" for using modern
technology, but still keep elements of the Amish lifestyle.

(My parents live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, aka
"Amish Country", although the community in Ohio is larger.)