Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Beginners Poly Application/Tack Cloth question

tiredofspam wrote:
On 7/31/2012 4:34 PM, Bill wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:19:02 -0400, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 7/30/2012 8:19 PM, Bill wrote:

Do you think an application of Johnson's paste wax improve the
durability of the (satin) finish? Since it's going to be my custom
honing strop, I would like to be able to wipe the "black muck" off of
it.

Wax on bare wood will improve water resistance for a bit.

I mainly use wax as a lubricant. I use it to make drawers, with out
mechanical slides, slide easier. And that tends to last a long
time. I
also use it to lube screws.

Thanks, I think I can put that information to use (I was thinking of
adding a drawer or two to my new woodbench). For now, I need to go
play
with drywall compound--I seem to resist it, despite how much fun it is.
; )

Got a wet shop vac and a P100 respirator? sigh Water really helps
trap the nasty, superfine dust.

I'm glad I sprung for the *vacuum* drywall sander! I've had better luck
with shop vac "bags", than water, though I tried water first.

Based on reading another post, I am going to upgrade my shop vac filter
to one of the better/best green ones (~$30, at Sears) for this task. I
wear an N95 rated dust mask for this and many other tasks.

After doing some other yardwork today, I decided to postpone my drywall
work until the conditions are more humane--perhaps after dark.

Here is a related question I had: Is the shop vac filter only there to
filter the air it outputs for the sake of the user, or does it protect
the unit (in any way)? For instance, if I'm vacuuming wet leaves (the
eave troughs), is there any benefit to using a filter?

Bill

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)

You should have gotten the water unit. Its a bucket that the vac hooks
to. Then it goes to a sanding pad. The drywall drops to the bucket
(filled with water) and prevents the filter from clogging.

Using a vacuum bag inside the shop vac, the filter doesn't clog at all.
The directions for the sander suggested, as an alternative to a vacuum
bag, to put a few inches of water inside the shop vac. I found that DID
result in a clogged filter.
My reaction to the way mine works is still the same as yours: WOW!

My only further comment is the cost is higher than the price of the
sander ($45), because I still had to buy a 1 1/4" hose ($15), adapter
($4), and bags (2 for $17). Yes, I keep track of my purchases on a
spreadsheet! You'd still be buying sanding screens whether doing
with a vacuum sander or not. I think it's still a good value, I'm just
providing information. In all fairness, this is the "bottom end" of such
sanders, it is getting the job done, and I am impressed with the
results--the connection of the hose to the sander not so much (but it's
nothing I can't maintain with duct tape).

Reminding me of the "Best bang for 10 bucks" thread, the profit margin
the sanding unit above must be darn impressive!

Bill

I have one and after listening to the wife really complain about the
dust, went out and got the better unit with a really long hose.

So glad I did. I have loaned it out about a dozen times and everyone has
the same reaction.... WOW!!!!