Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gas Cooker Power Output

"Gareth Magennis"

I have just had delivered, and installed, a new Gas Cooker. I am in the
UK.

It seems to me that the cooker is woefully inadequate.
A standard ring with a standard pan that fits the ring, will not make a
pan of chips (french fries).

Similarly, the oven, which has a control up to Gas Mark 8, will not heat
the oven higher than Gas Mark 5, and 45 minutes at Max failed to brown
properly a Poussin for dinner tonight, and the garlic bread was similarly
uncooked, so my breath is going to stink tomorrow.

But the question is, how might you measure the power output of such a
cooker to determine whether there is or isn't a problem with it?

** Get one of these;

http://oswaldadventures.files.wordpr...hermometer.jpg

The oven should heat to 250C in about 15 minutes.

I put 1 litre of tap water ( 13C ) in a 4 litre saucepan and heated it to
boiling on a large ( 100mm dia ) burner.

That took 5.5 minutes.

Equates to 1.1kW being delivered into the water.

.... Phil