Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginners Poly Application/Tack Cloth question

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:34:08 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:19:02 -0400, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 7/30/2012 8:19 PM, Bill wrote:

Do you think an application of Johnson's paste wax improve the
durability of the (satin) finish? Since it's going to be my custom
honing strop, I would like to be able to wipe the "black muck" off of
it.

Wax on bare wood will improve water resistance for a bit.

I mainly use wax as a lubricant. I use it to make drawers, with out
mechanical slides, slide easier. And that tends to last a long time. I
also use it to lube screws.

Thanks, I think I can put that information to use (I was thinking of
adding a drawer or two to my new woodbench). For now, I need to go play
with drywall compound--I seem to resist it, despite how much fun it is.
; )

Got a wet shop vac and a P100 respirator? sigh Water really helps
trap the nasty, superfine dust.

I'm glad I sprung for the *vacuum* drywall sander! I've had better luck
with shop vac "bags", than water, though I tried water first.

VDS, good show!

Based on reading another post, I am going to upgrade my shop vac filter
to one of the better/best green ones (~$30, at Sears) for this task. I
wear an N95 rated dust mask for this and many other tasks.

I bought a Cleanstream from an eBay vendor who had it stored in a
ghastly, stinking storeroom. It reeks every time I use it, but it
filters well.

I decided that since I was going to protect my lungs, I'd go the extra
dollar for the 100% filters. I reuse the hell out of 'em, anyway, so
I get my money's worth. My lungs thank me.

After doing some other yardwork today, I decided to postpone my drywall
work until the conditions are more humane--perhaps after dark.

Grok that.

Here is a related question I had: Is the shop vac filter only there to
filter the air it outputs for the sake of the user, or does it protect
the unit (in any way)? For instance, if I'm vacuuming wet leaves (the
eave troughs), is there any benefit to using a filter?

Yes, usually, the filter protects the motor a bit, too. Flow is often
through the hose, into the cannister, then out through the motor,
cooling it as it goes. Follow the mfgr's suggestions, though. Some
will eat (cheaper) filters if they get wet.

Well, I got my CNC router up and running today. After tracking down
some grounding problems, I got it up. Motion in all three axes. I
had to figure out how to reverse the A axis motor since it works
slaved to the X. The gantry started to move both ways at once the
first time. g Now I have to figure out how to configure the limit
switches and home switches, and then I'm up and running! Finally.
Next, I need to learn how to run Mach3, BobCAD, and BobART Pro.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.