Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Gas Cooker Power Output

Hmmm, slightly off topic but here we go.

I have just had delivered, and installed, a new Gas Cooker. I am in the
UK.

It seems to me that the cooker is woefully inadequate.
A standard ring with a standard pan that fits the ring, will not make a pan
of chips (french fries).

Similarly, the oven, which has a control up to Gas Mark 8, will not heat the
oven higher than Gas Mark 5, and 45 minutes at Max failed to brown properly
a Poussin for dinner tonight, and the garlic bread was similarly uncooked,
so my breath is going to stink tomorrow.

But the question is, how might you measure the power output of such a cooker
to determine whether there is or isn't a problem with it?
All I know is that according to the Gas Safety Certificate given to me by
the installers, it is rated at 9KWHr.
(It has an oven and grill (mutually exclusive use), 2 standard rings, one
small one and one large one. I haven't a clue what this 9KWHr figure
actually means in practice)

Now, I know there are methods of checking microwave power by boiling a known
quantity of water and timing it, so is there perhaps a similar method for a
gas cooker?
(Obviously more difficult than the Microwave because the efficiency of
heating is going to be vastly different and very subjective).

Cheers,

Gareth.