Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Small compressor problem...

On Jul 29, 1:31*pm, "Artemus" wrote:
"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message

Artemus wrote:

I have one of those and had a similar problem. *The cause was
a blown head gasket. *On the gasket there is a thin web that separates
the suction side from the high pressure side. *This was faulty on mine.
The gasket set from sears parts was cheap enough but the S/H on
top made me make my own gasket with bulk gasket material from
NAPA. *Works fine now.

* * No local Sears parts warehouse? *I needed a pully for an old
Craftsman belt driven table saw and picked it up from a Sear warehouse
across town. *I've bought knobs for appliances from them, as well.

It was the head gasket. *I got foxed out a bit because the natural separation line
is the metal gasket below the head gasket, where the reed valves sit. *I was afraid
of hurting the soft gasket above that... not to worry, it was already broken.
There's a Sears sevice and parts center a few miles from here, I'll have the thing
running again on monday. *If I strike out there, there is a NAPA on the way back.

thanks guys.

Stuart

Hopefully you'll have better luck with your local sears parts than I did.
My local place told me it wasn't an item they carried in stock and wouldn't
even order it for me. *$6 for a complete gasket set plus $8 S/H vs less than
an hour with the NAPA stuff I already had on hand.
Art

The b-in-l has a Craftsman portable, works fine for most of what he
does. Was there when he mentioned that it didn't work anymore. Poked
around, found the same problem as above, the head gasket had blown
between intake and outlet, a very thin section on the gasket. Shim
stock valves ARE just loose pieces sitting in divots in the head.
Closest Sears catalog place is 20 miles away and I KNEW they didn't
have parts. So made a gasket, probably a half-hour's work plus
reassembly. Worked fine after that, held pressure over a couple of
days. Factory gasket would have been the same cheesy plastic that
failed, if it had been available.

Stan