Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton[_2_] Stuart Wheaton[_2_] is offline

Default Small compressor problem...

Artemus wrote:

I have one of those and had a similar problem. The cause was
a blown head gasket. On the gasket there is a thin web that separates
the suction side from the high pressure side. This was faulty on mine.
The gasket set from sears parts was cheap enough but the S/H on
top made me make my own gasket with bulk gasket material from
NAPA. Works fine now.

No local Sears parts warehouse? I needed a pully for an old
Craftsman belt driven table saw and picked it up from a Sear warehouse
across town. I've bought knobs for appliances from them, as well.

It was the head gasket. I got foxed out a bit because the natural
separation line is the metal gasket below the head gasket, where the
reed valves sit. I was afraid of hurting the soft gasket above that...
not to worry, it was already broken. There's a Sears sevice and
parts center a few miles from here, I'll have the thing running again on
monday. If I strike out there, there is a NAPA on the way back.

thanks guys.

Stuart