Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lets roll!

On 7/28/2012 6:22 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 07:04:05 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 7/28/2012 6:09 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I'm disabled, can't run and I'm not bullet proof so I suppose I
could limp away as quickly as I could or do whatever I could to
protect a child from a lunatic. O_o

You might consider configuring your situation to provide another choice:
Returning fire.

I've been thinking of getting a firearm again but the only problem for
me is my arthritic hands. I can't even shake hand with folks at times
because of it and I cant imagine the pain the recoil of any type gun
would cause me much less being able to hold on to the darn thing. The
last pistol I owned was a 9mm Browning Hi-Power which really didn't have
that much kick with standard ball or semi-wadcutter ammo but I had it
loaded with military surplus sub machine gun ammo and the darn thing
kicked like a mule and sounded like a howitzer going off. I'll have to
get a sissy gun I suppose but those can be deadly too. ^_^

TDD

A Ruger 10-22 is not a bad compromise for someone with hand
disabilities. Its a moderately short semiautomatic 22 rifle. A Marlin
Mod 60 is slower to reload..but then it does hold 19 rds of ammo..and is
cheaper.

Use of subgun ammo in a High Power is very very hard on the weapon
itself. Ive seen a number of them come through my hands over the years
that needed extensive rebuilding/repair to be usable again safely.

Standard 127gr JHP is not as hard on the weapon..or the shooter.

Is your trigger finger in as bad shape as the hands? IF you can grab a
handgun..Id suggest a 4" 38 Special with 125gr JHP for serious..and
regular lead ammo for practice.

Gunner

The Hi-Power I owned was a Belgian manufactured pistol and the fellow I
bought it from told me it was a NATO issue weapon. The sub gun ammo was
not what I shot in it for target practice all the time but heck, if some
fool tried to run me down with his car, that ammo would penetrate the
vehicle rather well. The FMJ bullet had a pointed steel center wrapped
in lead inside the copper?/brass? outer shell. It made holes in hard
things quite easily. I never had any kind of feed problems with any ammo
I tried in it, I wish I still had the pistol. ^_^

TDD