Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lets roll!

" wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:22:23 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Do you laugh your ass off watching low budget SciFi shows where the
engine room of the giant alien space cruiser is actually a chiller
plant for an big building's air conditioning system? Placards with
alien looking symbols cover the nameplates with Carrier, York, Trane
and Square D printed on them. It hurts to laugh that hard sometimes. ^_^

I LOVE that crap. Sometimes I need a good laugh and it never fails
to deliver. OTOH, I got bored and wrote a Sci-Fi trilogy about 25 years
ago that had a lot of hidden puns. The 286 computer was brand new and
bragging about 12 MHz processors on a 16 bit data bus. The computer in
the story had a 4 GHz processor with a 1024 bit data bus, and used FTL
technology to eliminate the bottleneck between the the processor and
memory. No hard drives, it used 'Crystal Memory' A terabyte per cubic
inch, and one engineer is complaining he only has 10 memory modules.
They are each 20'*20'*100', and he's complaining. ;-)

They still had Microsoft in the story, huh?

No, just too many plugins, and the ability to convert & run software
written for any processor or OS in the new systems native code. MS could
never write code like that.

Then there's the working transporter they developed, along with lots
of other off the wall technology. ;-)