Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Small compressor problem...

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message

Have a small portable compressor, craftsman, decent for trim install and such, easy
to carry up stairs.

Was working great, now it will run and run, but never gets the tank above 20 PSI.
I find no leaks in the tubing, the check valve is free, I took the head off, the
two loose pieces of shim stock that they use as reed valves look OK, but is there a
way to test these? Without a spark plug hole, I'm unsure of how to test rings...

Before I take it to Sears, anybody got any ideas?

Stuart

I have one of those and had a similar problem. The cause was
a blown head gasket. On the gasket there is a thin web that separates
the suction side from the high pressure side. This was faulty on mine.
The gasket set from sears parts was cheap enough but the S/H on
top made me make my own gasket with bulk gasket material from
NAPA. Works fine now.
Art