Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Poxy lead-free solder (again) ...

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
On Jul 28, 1:40 pm, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

***Just remembered an amusing anecdote: One of the home computer firms
in
the 80's (might have been Sinclair?) quit doing home build kits after
someone returned a kit to their service dept, all the components very
neatly
assembled into the PCB - and secured with polystyrene cement!

I saw one once! It was a transistor radio kit - a bit before the days of
personal computers - which had been put together with Solderlene* - sold
as liquid cold solder!

Basically, polystyrene cement with silver colouring added ...!

*It's still around!

http://www.alcolin.com/diy-products/...sed/solderlene

I don't think the tubes said anything about being non conductive in
those days, though!

Someone on a motorcycle group has claimed that Blu-tack sets rock hard in
contact with petrol, and as such makes a good repair putty for fuel tanks.

I've made no attempt to test this theory - any experiments along these lines
are entirely at your own risk!