Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Metalworking help needed for a personal (non-commercial) project.

On 7/26/12 9:41 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

A while ago I suggested a few ways to make high pressure gas seals
between the reactor sections and then realized I would have a lot of
trouble machining them from stainless on my small antique machine
tools, which are barely adequate for carbide inserts. I can't reliably
seal hydraulic oil at room temperature.

Jim...

I reached the same conclusion - and decided that the best approach would
probably be to weld/braze all connections except that to the hydrogen
tank regulator, and I added an additional normally-closed "master"
solenoid valve (and incorporated some additional software) to protect
the regulator from excessive back pressures and high temperatures.

It was the sealing problem that forced me to monitor temperature (with a
thermocouple, as you suggested) at the outer surface of the containment
vessel. I'd have preferred an internal measurement, but this does look
safest.

--
Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/Solar/