Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Metalworking help needed for a personal (non-commercial) project.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:04:59 -0500, the renowned Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:40:19 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

I'm looking for help with two (possibly three) relatively small metal
parts for my current R&D project, and decided to "stick my toe in the
water" on r.c.m to see if anyone would be interested in tackling any or
all of them.

The project is a roughly shoebox-size low energy nuclear reactor (LENR),
and there is a conceptual description at

http://www.iedu.com/Solar/LENR/

The first part needed is a stainless steel containment vessel, the
second is a manifold block incorporating a gas passage and provision for
four solenoid valves and a pressure sensor, and the third is a
mechanical linkage between a motor and the handle on a standard bottled
gas pressure regulator.

The containment vessel and the manifold need to be able to withstand
pressure to 3450kPa/500psi and temperature to 500?C/932?F.

I will need letters relinquishing intellectual property rights to design
and drawings. The intent is to ensure that the final result of the
project can be made freely available without encumbrance.

I am, of course, willing to pay (not a lot, because I don't have a lot),
but would prefer to do this:

If there's a person (or two people) willing to help complete the
specifications (with good CAD drawings) and provide ten copies of all
three parts, then I'm willing to provide each with a complete set of
these parts plus a pre-programmed Arduino microcontroller and a how-to
for completing, testing, and operating the tiny nuclear reactor.

What, oh what, are the public workshops called that are springing up in
major cities?

I'm drawing an absolute blank. This is way frustrating.

Hackerspaces! The ones I've seen are not exactly public, but close
enuf.

But there's a movement afoot in the US to provide workshop space for
inventors like you, and more mundane maker sorts, too. If you can think
of the right keywords, you may even find something local. Nearly all of
them have lots of tools; some of them have folks on staff to help you do
stuff, I would imagine that many have folks hanging around who'd be
enthusiastic, too.

And young talented folks whose first worry is not about liability.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany