Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave[_52_] Dave[_52_] is offline

Default Decline in craftsmanship

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:15:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:
You sure about that? Have you not seen the concern over rampant rise in
cheating in the past two decades in school and colleges? Perhaps he's
only proven that he can lie, cheat and steal the basis of that degree,
and/or that his parents are wealthy enough to insure that he gets an
increased opportunity.

Nice try. You could equally state that the person with all that
experience has been skating through doing the minimum needed to get
by. We're not discussing someone trying to game the system.

Did you not see the "all things being equal" statement? You like to
accuse people of cutting the important text. You've just been found
guilty of doing the same thing.

One could also say that the guy with all that experience should have
studied and gone to school instead of spending his time tinkering and
playing with some technology.

That's what *I* should have done, something I've always regretted. The
experience and skills you're talking about are, no were, from several
decades ago. It's unfortunate, but it's not part of this era.

The best one could hope for from a college or university graduate now
is that while they are learning, they've also been tinkering and
getting some practical experience with the technology.