Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Decline in craftsmanship

Leon wrote:

My son did not have to have a masters degree however he was expected
to have his CPA license withing 3~4 years of being hired or hit the
road.

No - but he was expected to have a certain level of knowledge. Not
necessarily experience. They paid him for the knowledge that he had gained
from his Bachelor's degreee and expected continuted development from him.
What is the difference between that and all of the other arguments you've
made against the value of a college degree?

This license is required to do public accounting and working
for a public accounting firm sorta limits your progress with out that
license. I suggested he not work for the first time since HS during
the summer between getting his masters and starting full time with
the company he is with now. Get those CPA exams behind you.

But Leon - that would be simply accomplishing the academic requirements -
wouldn't it? To your previous arguments, that would not prove that he has
real world capable experiences - would it? So why is that more valuable
than the degrees that you've been arguing against?

Exactly and the kids graduating from college are having difficult
times finding jobs. The degrees are not trumping proven work
experience.

Nor is proven work experience trumping college degrees. We're seeing an
economic impact - not a reflection of the value of degrees. While there are
a lot of people out of work with degrees - there are a **** pot more out of
work without degrees.

I mentioned this before but the local office my son
works for recruits mainly from 3 colleges. His college has the least
appeal of the 3 on a resume, generally speaking. For this particular
job they were looking equally as hard at work history. The vast
majority of students at his college had jobs.

So - what kind of jobs? Sure - I bet a good many had some work/study stuff
behind them... but that is a common part of that college degree that is
purported to be so meaningless.

That cannot be said of
the other 2 colleges. It was said that the UofH students already had
the basics down for simply doing what is expected on a job, this had
to be taught to the other new hires.

This would indeed be a real problem these days...

LOL, He owes me nothing although I often introduce him as "my
retirement plan investment.

One can only hope - as it should be!

--

-Mike-