Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for window sealant

On Jul 25, 9:57*am, rangerssuck wrote:
On Jul 24, 8:37*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I had to remove a broken aluminum window from one of my garage walk
doors.

I found I could gently pry the frame out of the opening with just a thin
putty knife, but when I got it out, I found something that surprised me..

The sealant the manufacturer used had the properties of both a silicone
sealant, and a non-hardening, clear "goo" -- the gooey part acted like a
conventional putty, but the hardening part acted just like regular
silicone sealant.

A related question that's been on my mind for years, and since I'm
just getting retty to refurb 20 windows in my house...

Is there something better than old-fashioned glazing putty to seal
glass in wood sashes? I was thinking that maybe RTV silicone would do
better and last longer.

Any thoughts?

Consider using double back tape to hold the glass in place while the
sealant sets up.

Dan