Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Source for window sealant

On Jul 24, 8:37*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I had to remove a broken aluminum window from one of my garage walk
doors.

I found I could gently pry the frame out of the opening with just a thin
putty knife, but when I got it out, I found something that surprised me.

The sealant the manufacturer used had the properties of both a silicone
sealant, and a non-hardening, clear "goo" -- the gooey part acted like a
conventional putty, but the hardening part acted just like regular
silicone sealant.

A related question that's been on my mind for years, and since I'm
just getting retty to refurb 20 windows in my house...

Is there something better than old-fashioned glazing putty to seal
glass in wood sashes? I was thinking that maybe RTV silicone would do
better and last longer.

Any thoughts?