Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave[_52_] Dave[_52_] is offline

Default Decline in craftsmanship

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:27:02 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I can easily remember seeing this way of thinking 30 years ago, this is
nothing new, it is just seen more often with more unqualified grads
available.

Part of the problem is that 30 years ago, people like us with just a
little luck could occasionally find a company where we would work for
our entire lives. That meant benefits, health insurance, sick pay and
everything else that comes with working full time at one place.

That atmosphere of job security doesn't exist these days for the vast
bulk of the working population ~ whatever degree they have. People who
have worked for a number of years at one place are getting laid off
and replaced with contract employees.

It happened to a friend of mine three years ago. (he has a technical
degree) After 20 years working at IBM, he got laid off three years
ago. He's approaching 50 and de's had a terrible time finding another
job. Sure, he's worked in the meantime at places paying 25% of the
salary he used to make, but the security he had has completely
evaporated.