Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Decline in craftsmanship

On 7/24/2012 1:46 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

BS! I will admit starting out that a person with an education should
be considered for the job over some one starting out that does not
have as much education but deserving a good paying job, no way, not
until he proves himself.

BS? Come on Leon - the guy that graduated has already proven himself to
some degree, over the clown that has done nothing more than walk in and try
to tell you that he "can do it".

The graduate has proven that he could get a degree. He too can still be
the clown that walks in with a degree. And the guy that walks in and
says that he can do it has at least a 50/50 chance of being able to do
it. Almost with certainty a fresh graduate with no work history will
still have to be taught, by the employer.

He has already invested in learning - just
like your son did. He has already passed some level of accredation of that
learning effort. And you are trying to say that someone just walking in
with no such credentials is the equal to that?

I agreed with your statement,
Not to say that the same level of knowledge could not have been
developed via the school of hard knocks, but that route
takes a lot more years to navigate.

And with more years of actual real world experience my money is on the
one that has really proven himself, year after year, not some one that
has a certificate indicating that he has passed "x" amount of courses.

Bull****! So - in terms of
pay - he does not deserve some level of pay that reflects this? You want to
pay him as a rank amature with no knowledge at all? I'm not saying - nor
have I said, that he deserves great levels of pay, but he has in fact
already proven himself to be worth more than the guy with no knowledge that
is simply "interested" in this kind of work.

If the college graduate has passed his courses but has not work
experience to go along with it it means little to me if I have a guy
that has been doing the same thing year after year.
A college degree simply should help you get your foot in the door, more
pay for the same job?? That kinda sounds like a man and woman doing the
exact same job but he gets paid more because he is the man.

I have seen though, more of what I think you are getting at. Over
the past 10 years or so (or so...), I have seen more kids coming out
of colleges thinking they are more than what they really are,
because they hold that degree. In a word - they don't know what
they don't know.

I can easily remember seeing this way of thinking 30 years ago, this
is nothing new, it is just seen more often with more unqualified grads
available.

It actually is something new. The cries from the under-educated are the
same, but that's only because they resent the knowledge these kids actually
do come out with.

I am talking about college graduates 30 years ago thinking they know it
all and deserve more. I hired them, I fired them. And my favorite line
from them was, " I studied that in class", which always trumped the
actual correct answer, in their minds. Asked the right question the
right way they could answer correctly. Change the color of the balloons
that the clown is holding and the odds of getting a correct answer drops
by 50%.

Now I am not saying that all college grads are not smart, I am saying
that the number of the smart and qualified is not increasing at the
same rate of degrees being passed out.