Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Decline in craftsmanship

On 7/24/2012 12:32 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 7/23/2012 5:59 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

This, along with other misguided educational policies in the US are
resulting in a dumbing down of high school and college degrees to an
eventual point at which a college diploma will be the equivalent of a
1960's high school diploma. At that point, in order for graduates to
compete for good jobs, they will need a masters degree. The masters
degree will be the new college diploma and since everyone is getting
college paid for by someone else, meaning there is no personal
sacrifice
or penalty for failure, the bachelors degree will be looked at with no
more esteem than a high school diploma is now.

That's here NOW! There are certain cultures that don't care for the
bachelors,the 2 you mentioned. They believe that the masters is
important, the baccalaureate is just a step to the masters.
The problem is that the masters doesn't make you smarter.

I think that because damn near every one graduating from HS at least
starts college these days that the bachelors degree is so common place
that it has little value over a HS diploma.

And I totally agree that a masters degree does not make you smarter, not
even a doctorate makes you smarter. I will say that both make you more
knowledgeable but that has little to do with being smart, something that
you are born with.

Someone (T. Huxley) said "Perhaps the most valuable result of all
education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do,
when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first
lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training
begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly."

And all this time I thought that was simply a result of mentally maturing.