Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Decline in craftsmanship

On 7/23/2012 9:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 07:44:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

That Master's Degree in 8th century Lithuanian art won't allow you to
earn enough to pay the appliance repair guy making triple your wage.

Neither will that PhD in aeronautical engineering unless you have the
jog-getting skills to turn it into employment.

Getting a decent job isn't a matter of having a specific piece of paper,
it's a matter of marketing and selling oneself effectively. A lot of
very capable people have no talent at all for marketing.

Some truth to that, but the engineer may at least be able to get a job
at the Jiffy Lube while the art guy would not know which end of the
mop to used if offered a janitor's job.

A little truth to that, you simply don't go for a vocation that is not
necessary. My son is in a relative secure and growing industry, thank
you Enron. He is a financial statement auditor of public companies.

I never ever understood, even during the 90's, how any one graduating
from college thought that they earned the right to a good paying job
just because they had a college diploma.

My son had his first good paying job offered to him 5 months before he
got his bachelors degree, 20 months before getting his masters and he
even passed all 4 of his CPA exams between the masters degree and going
to work for that company.

There was no marketing at all unless demonstrating that you can work and
go to school at the same time is considered marketing yourself.