Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Decline in craftsmanship

"Bill" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 01:10:00 -0400, Bill wrote:

Virtually all of my students are finding decent jobs.

I'd like to see your stats. What college? What degree?

Good question. I don't think there are really many people out there
who would make Bill's statement.

All I will say further is that one of our students got a job as a
software developer with Microsoft last year.

That's a lot different from the statement that you previously made.?

Where is the conflict? Our students (in this area) are finding jobs and
other good opportunities. I think new graduates, having indefinite
promise, may have some advantage in the competition for jobs.

I read recently that the 2012 graduates are doing better in the current job
market than the 2011 graduates as they are more visible than last year's
graduates whom have been sidelined either out of work or in menial jobs...

Law school grads are pretty much screwed regardless of which year they got
out... very poor hiring rates due to the over-capacity in the industry. In
theory that may drive salaries and billing rates down... Probably take
another year or two to tell what really happens.

John