Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Schottky barrier diodes testing

On Jul 22, 2:38*pm, mike wrote:
On 7/22/2012 10:02 AM, wrote:

I also have two adjustable current power supplies like you mentioned.
So in other words, what you're saying is reverse bias the diode across
the supply, (cathode to positive) and look for leakage as read on the
current meter? *Lenny

Correct, with precaution of using a current limiting supply or
increasing the voltage slowly.

PlainBill

Beware using current limited supplies to test stuff, especially junctions..
You can set the current to zero, but the energy stored in the
output capacitor can zap the device. *Suggest using an additional
scheck zen

When checking zener diodes I usually put a series resistance of about
1000 ohms in series with the unknown diode. Then I increase the supply
voltage slowly until the diode clamps. Then I know the zener voltage.

But I'm still wondering then would it be a valid test to put this
diode across my bench power supply reversed biased in series with say
a 1000 ohm resistor and see if it draws any current? Will that prove
if it's leaky?
Lenny

at is the zener ratined voltage.and meter the dio more current than
the device can handle.