Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Schottky barrier diodes testing

I just pulled a suspect diode out of a dead board. It bears the
numbers SR506. This seems to be a Schottky barrier diode. I haven't
had much experience working with these at all. Normally when checking
conventional diodes I would use my 260 on RX100 ohms. It's very
simple. I read about 500 ohms one way and infinity the other. With
this diode though just after pulling it I read in one direction about
5K ohms with the reading gradually going up.almost like a capacitor
charging. In the other direction I read about 160 ohms. Now after it
has sat on the bench for a few minutes it reads 160 ohms in the one
direction and now reads between 1 and 3 meg depending on which scale
the meter is on.

So then I used a high impedance digital meter. Ther forward reading is
660 ohms and the reverse reading starts out at around 280K and slowly
climbs from there. I didn't leave it long enough to see how high it
would go. I'm not sure what I'm seeing or how to interpret this. If
someone could please shed some light on this I would really appreciate
it. Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

[...]

Schotty diodes inherently have higher capacitance at the junction in the
reverse state. That one you have point to has over 1000Pf
(1nf)/(0.001uf) Which seems to be rather high?

At higher voltages on the reverse side, this capacitance will be less
noticeable of course. It drops off as the applied voltage goes up. In
your case, you are using a meter which is applying very low voltage in
comparison so you'll see the full effect..

Using the DMM impedance (10MEGS for most), you can create a RC
network and calculate the time constant. t= R*C*5 = 0.050 sec in your
case on the 10Meg DMM.

If you're getting much longer readings, may I suggest you apply a
variable voltage source to test the break down? I think you may have a
almost shorted diode..

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 13:37:29 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

I just pulled a suspect diode out of a dead board. It bears the
numbers SR506. This seems to be a Schottky barrier diode.

More than you ever wanted to know about component testing:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/semitest.htm

Some of my assorted digital volts guessers have a "diode" check
position. The difference is that they draw some current through the
diode, in order to eliminate the capacitive charge up effects that
you're seeing.

Another way to test diodes is a build a crude curve tracer.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/semitest.htm#stitc
Find a sweep generator that will do a ramp or triangular wave. Put
the diode in series with a current limiting resistor across the
generator output. Put a scope across the diode. You should see the
something vaguely resembling the diode characteristic curve. Something
like this but with an audio generator instead of power xformer:
http://www.techlib.com/electronics/curvetrace.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:47:55 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

[...]

I always use the diode test scale on my DMM to test these. It should
show a forward voltage of .3 to .4 volts. The reverse characteristics
lead me to suspect it is bad. I'm lucky in that I have a variable
power supply with current meter available to check reverse leakage.
While this diode is rated at 60 volts, if it shows any measurable
leakage at 20 volts I would replace it.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I also have two adjustable current power supplies like you mentioned.
So in other words, what you're saying is reverse bias the diode across
the supply, (cathode to positive) and look for leakage as read on the
current meter? Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message

I just pulled a suspect diode out of a dead board. It bears the
numbers SR506. This seems to be a Schottky barrier diode. I haven't
had much experience working with these at all. Normally when checking
conventional diodes I would use my 260 on RX100 ohms. It's very
simple. I read about 500 ohms one way and infinity the other. With
this diode though just after pulling it I read in one direction about
5K ohms with the reading gradually going up.almost like a capacitor
charging. In the other direction I read about 160 ohms. Now after it
has sat on the bench for a few minutes it reads 160 ohms in the one
direction and now reads between 1 and 3 meg depending on which scale
the meter is on.

***SB diodes have measurable leakage - I mistakenly binned a few in my
learning years before I knew this. The forward drop is lower than a silicon
diode and is quite variable depending on the power rating of the diode -
very small SB diodes can have Vf as high as 0.4V, only just less than very
fast silicon types, large SB rectifiers can have 0.2Vf, or even as low as
0.1V for a hefty one.

***A DMM with a diode check function that gives you a direct reading of Vf
is pretty much indispensible, a little experience interpreting the readings
is also quite useful.

***If you replace a SB rectifier with a silicon type; the rectifier will
overheat - likely so will the reservoir electrolytic.

***If you replace a silicon rectifier with an SB type; you may find it
breaks down on reverse voltage, SB types start around 20V with ratings up to
about 60V being fairly common - I've seen 90V SB rectifiers, but they cost
more so manufacturers only use them if they have to.

***Don't forget; in a flyback converter a forward rectified voltage rail can
have flyback pulses 5 - 8x the voltage on the other side of the diode!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Last time I checked, there were some 1200 volt Schottky types that came
out not to long ago. The problem is finding a supply house that has some.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 20:26:57 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

Last time I checked, there were some 1200 volt Schottky types that came
out not to long ago. The problem is finding a supply house that has some.
Jamie

Silicon Carbide Schottky by Cree. Up to 1700 volts now.
http://www.cree.com/power/products/z-rec-sic-schottky-diodes
http://www.cree.com/power/products/z-rec-sic-schottky-diodes?VRRM=1700V
Allegedly stocked by Arrow, Digikey, Newark, and Mouser, but a quick
check of Digikey showed limited supplies, probably because of the high
price tag (about $20 in singles):
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/C3D25170H/C3D25170H-ND/3043980
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/C3D10170H/C3D10170H-ND/3043979

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No offense intended Lenny, but ohms checking with an analog VOM (especially
when using more than 1 ohm range, thus different currents most likely) is
kinda crude.

Zener diodes might be a very good example.. both analog and DMMs will
produce somewhat worthwhile readings, but a simple circuit will show the
actual clamping voltage. A small project box that's big enough for a couple
of bananna jacks or short leads with clips to hold the DUT, series resistor
and meter leads going in, used with a small variable voltage power supply
and either VOM or preferrably a DMM forms a complete test setup.
The DMM will check the junction voltage drop with a diode test function.

I prefer analog meters for some things which they perform better for, but
checking semiconductor junctions and various other components isn't very
effective in terms of easily understood results.

For most semis that can be identified, checking some of the parameters
listed on their datasheets will reveal all/most that needs to be known.. and
the leakage aspect is often a significantly important test.. as PlainBill
recommends.

--
Cheers,
WB

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

***You sure they're not SiC?

Many of the fliers print bold that they have similar Trr to SB.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Correct, with precaution of using a current limiting supply or
increasing the voltage slowly.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 22, 2:38*pm, mike wrote:
On 7/22/2012 10:02 AM, wrote:

I also have two adjustable current power supplies like you mentioned.
So in other words, what you're saying is reverse bias the diode across
the supply, (cathode to positive) and look for leakage as read on the
current meter? *Lenny

Correct, with precaution of using a current limiting supply or
increasing the voltage slowly.

PlainBill

Beware using current limited supplies to test stuff, especially junctions..
You can set the current to zero, but the energy stored in the
output capacitor can zap the device. *Suggest using an additional
scheck zen

When checking zener diodes I usually put a series resistance of about
1000 ohms in series with the unknown diode. Then I increase the supply
voltage slowly until the diode clamps. Then I know the zener voltage.

But I'm still wondering then would it be a valid test to put this
diode across my bench power supply reversed biased in series with say
a 1000 ohm resistor and see if it draws any current? Will that prove
if it's leaky?
Lenny

at is the zener ratined voltage.and meter the dio more current than
the device can handle.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 22, 2:38 pm, mike wrote:
On 7/22/2012 10:02 AM, wrote:

I also have two adjustable current power supplies like you mentioned.
So in other words, what you're saying is reverse bias the diode across
the supply, (cathode to positive) and look for leakage as read on the
current meter? Lenny

Correct, with precaution of using a current limiting supply or
increasing the voltage slowly.

PlainBill

Beware using current limited supplies to test stuff, especially junctions.
You can set the current to zero, but the energy stored in the
output capacitor can zap the device. Suggest using an additional
scheck zen

When checking zener diodes I usually put a series resistance of about
1000 ohms in series with the unknown diode. Then I increase the supply
voltage slowly until the diode clamps. Then I know the zener voltage.

###My homebrew zener measurerer is a little risky but works a treat.

### Its a pair of reservoir electrolytics from scrap monitors in series,
with the tap to one AC leg of the bridge rectifier to make a voltage
doubling rectifier, AC current is limited by a series pair of 68k/2W
resistors (were the startup resistors for the UC3842 in a monitor PSU).

### In parallel with the test clips & sockets for the DMM probes is a
shorting switch in series with an inrush limit NTC thermistor to dump any
charge on the caps before connecting D.U.T.

###So far, after quite a few years use - only one D.U.T. has acted as a
one-shot relaxation oscillator. Its satisfactory for checking the PIV of
1N4148 type diodes including similar size Jap types with unknown colour band
coding.

###On the UK 230VRMS supply, the doubler/rectifier means I can check PIV
upto about 600V - that's probably limited by leakage on the bridge rectifier
I pressed into service.