tony sayer

Default New TV aerial choice?

In article , Tim Mitchell
writes
In article , Terry D
writes
Mike P. wrote:
Also http://www.maxview.ltd.uk/

Mike P

I bought a Maxview 18 element wide-band kit at B & Q for about £9. The kit
included 10M of coaxial cable and a complete fitting kit for indoor or
outdoor use. It's mounted in my loft & the reception is excellent.

They aren't the best aerials though - they are very big, you can get
something much more compact and mechanically better for a bit more
money. I speak as one who installed one of the twangy things recently
with the crap B&Q co ax and since wished he had spent a bit more and got
something decent.

Get a decent aerial such as a Triax or Antiference from www.cpc.co.uk
and then make sure you use a decent downlead such as CT100 the stuff
they use for satellite connections and don't have any unnecessary
connections in that lead and you will be well connected.

Using low grade aerials and the string that the DIY sheds sell as Low-
loss will offset any advantage that a good hi-gain aerial makes.

Look upon it as a long term investment just remember how many hours you
spend in front of the box!.

Of course if you're in spitting distance of a DTV transmitter you may
well be able to get away with a lesser system. Local knowledge is useful
here...
--
Tony Sayer