Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Bruce Esquibel[_2_] Bruce Esquibel[_2_] is offline

Default Aldi ?59 petrol generator and television

In sci.electronics.repair Cydrome Leader wrote:

I can't imagine a 2 stroke aldi generator would even last long enough to
destroy any electronics. the thing must last about 2-3 minutes tops before
seizing, assuming it even starts out of the box.

I dunno anything about the Aldi one but several years ago I bought a cheap 2
stroke, 800w, made-in-china one from Menards for $100 or less and it's still
working fine.

We had a nasty ice storm, lost power and after the house dropped to 60, it
was either do something or find a hotel.

It chugged along for hours sitting outside in 20F degree temps, we have hot
water gas heat so it only needed to run the circulation pump. Just did a
quick mod to the electrical on the furnace and ran a heavy guage cord thru a
drilled hole in the wall.

Since then I've used it several times, usually starts on the 3rd or 4th
pull, even after sitting a year or more, stale gas and everything that goes
with it.

Don't get me wrong, contruction wise it's a peice of crap but seems to be
hanging in there just fine.

If I lived in an area that has regular outages, this thing wouldn't be in my
top 10 list (or top 100) but for the occasional use and price, it's just not
as bad as you think.

-bruce