Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Aldi ?59 petrol generator and television

In sci.electronics.repair Cydrome Leader wrote:

I can't imagine a 2 stroke aldi generator would even last long enough to
destroy any electronics. the thing must last about 2-3 minutes tops before
seizing, assuming it even starts out of the box.

I dunno anything about the Aldi one but several years ago I bought a cheap 2
stroke, 800w, made-in-china one from Menards for $100 or less and it's still
working fine.

We had a nasty ice storm, lost power and after the house dropped to 60, it
was either do something or find a hotel.

It chugged along for hours sitting outside in 20F degree temps, we have hot
water gas heat so it only needed to run the circulation pump. Just did a
quick mod to the electrical on the furnace and ran a heavy guage cord thru a
drilled hole in the wall.

Since then I've used it several times, usually starts on the 3rd or 4th
pull, even after sitting a year or more, stale gas and everything that goes
with it.

Don't get me wrong, contruction wise it's a peice of crap but seems to be
hanging in there just fine.

If I lived in an area that has regular outages, this thing wouldn't be in my
top 10 list (or top 100) but for the occasional use and price, it's just not
as bad as you think.

-bruce

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:28:28 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair Arfa Daily wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 11/07/2012 10:37, D. T. Green wrote:
On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we
have
heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is
running
very roughly, and is really noisy.

Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for
connecting to
televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.

Likely it is not just acoustically noisy but electronically noisy too
and the ignition system radio emissions will cause snow on a portable
TV. It might be so rough and ready electrically either voltage or
frequency wise that it could fail or wreck some old sets completely. I'd
expect most modern switched mode PSUs to cope with almost anything but
then you are taking a risk since the maker says it is unsuitable.

I would have said the exact opposite of that. Linear supplies with a nice
big chunk of L in the way, are pretty much unconcerned about such nasties
as spikes, whereas switchers will fail if you just look at them wrongly
on a day with a Y in it ...

Like hell they do.

However, that said, I would agree with everyone else that using this with
modern electronic equipment would not be a good idea.

That's just plain wrong with modern switch mode power supplys.

I repair hundreds of the things, and irrespective of the topology of any
individual design, most work by the skin of their teeth. Left alone, in
general, today's generation are fairly reliable, but in my experience,
subject them to the slightest abuse, and they fail - often catastrophically

Arfa

I can't imagine a 2 stroke aldi generator would even last long enough to
destroy any electronics. the thing must last about 2-3 minutes tops before
seizing, assuming it even starts out of the box.

So you lack a grasp of reality. Reliable 2 cycle engines are quite
common - they have been used in chain saws, outboard motors, and a
variety of other uses for more than half a century. The chief cause
of premature failure is some idiot (look in to a mirror for an
example) failing to properly mix the oil and gas.

The generator (actually an alternator) is also trivial. By
incorporating a small permanent magnet into the rotor it would be
trivial to build a self-energizing alternator; output voltage
regulation would be done by stepping the output voltage down,
rectifying it, and varying the current to the rotor windings, just as
is done in an automotive alternator. That output voltage should be
quite stable.

Admitedly, frequency regulation would be poor. They probably use an
air vane governor for speed regulation.

As far as the original question, I wouldn't suggest anyone try to use
one for any application the manufacturer says is unsuitable. But I
would be more concerned about the unstable frequency than the output
voltage. I've seen many LCD monitors whose power supply is rated for
input voltages ranging from 90 to 275 volts AC at 50 - 60 Hz.

PlainBill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:01:23 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel
wrote:

[...]

This sounds like the one sold by Harbor Freight Tools.

PlainBill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:59:42 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:
I can't imagine a 2 stroke aldi generator would even last long enough to
destroy any electronics. the thing must last about 2-3 minutes tops
before seizing, assuming it even starts out of the box.

That'll be why they give a three year warranty? Instant money back -
provided you have the receipt. Wish others did as well.

it could be a 100 year warranty. There's no way such a generator isn't
complete trash and won't have the endurance of a birthday cake candle.

I've seen more or less the same model run for around 50 hours a year
for six years. It rumbled like hell after being run with no oil in
the fuel for about three hours one day, but that was maybe a couple of
years ago. It's now knackered and consigned to the bin as the
governor hunts like mad and it's a ******* to start.

Given that it only cost 70 quid that's 25p per hour plus the cost of
fuel and oil. They might even get a fiver for it on ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

there are great 2 cycle engines, but they don't come from aldi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Have you ever bought any Tools or anything for that matter from Aldi?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

news

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I've always found their tools quite good, and generally excellent value for
money. A while back, I bought a compressor and a bunch of air tools from
them for a very reasonable price - better than any of the DIY sheds were
offering. Agreed, it's not of 'professional' quality, but it is extremely
well made, has dual ports, both with pressure gauges, and every last nut and
bolt is available as a spare part. It's not particularly quiet, and the tank
is not huge, but as a DIY item, it is more than adequate, and has so far
given me excellent service.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:56:15 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

there are great 2 cycle engines, but they don't come from aldi.

Have you ever bought any Tools or anything for that matter from Aldi?

He clearly hasn't. Just a ****** of a tool snob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 00:47:52 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

news9udnX_rbseHBpTNnZ2dnUVZ8hudnZ2d@brightview. com...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

That is my experience with the items sold by Harbor Freight Tools. If
I were a professional whose livelihood depended on his tools, Harbor
Freight would not be my preferred source. More than 2 years ago I
bought a 'Sawzall' (reciprocating saw) from HFT for $19.99. A
professional would have preferred the Milwaukee brand ($120 - $150)
whild a dedicated DIYer should have preferred a Porter-Cable product
at $80 - $100. I have used it for perhaps a dozen projects from
cutting a 2' diameter circle out of a piece of 1/2" plywood (metric
conversions available on request) to removing siding and soffit from
an addition.

PlainBill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

None of which have much bearing on Aldi.

How long a warranty do those cheap brands give? Lidl and Aldi ones are 3
years.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 21, 12:28*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* wrote:

[...]

While I don't live in Aldi country (cydrome leader does) my impression
is that in the States, their non-food items are limited to household
goods -- frying pans, steam irons, that sort of thing.

Even when I stayed two months in Munich, shopping at least once a week
at Aldis, I don't remember seeing any power tools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 20:28:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Actually it does. Most of these products come out of China, Usually
a single factory is selling the product to a number of retailers,
often the retailer specifies the 'brand name'.
How long a warranty do those cheap brands give? Lidl and Aldi ones are 3
years.

Harbor Freight's warranty is typically 90 days, extendable to 2 years.
I'm still using the heat gun I purchaed from them 6 years ago,
likewise the DMM, the saw, torque wrench, etc.

Again, it's not the length of the warranty, it's how long the tool
will last under the purchaser's useage. If a builder saves $100 on a
'sawzall' and it fails under a 3 year warranty, he has lost money
because the down time spent getting it replaced under warranty is
worth more than $100. For someone like me, I have every expectation
any tool I purchase will outlast me (barring abuse or incompetance).

PlainBill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:
None of which have much bearing on Aldi.

Actually it does. Most of these products come out of China, Usually
a single factory is selling the product to a number of retailers,
often the retailer specifies the 'brand name'.

Almost all consumer goods like this are made in China. And even the same
factory will produce different quality - to the price the buyer wants.

How long a warranty do those cheap brands give? Lidl and Aldi ones are 3
years.

Harbor Freight's warranty is typically 90 days, extendable to 2 years.

That sounds like the dark ages in the UK.

I'm still using the heat gun I purchaed from them 6 years ago,
likewise the DMM, the saw, torque wrench, etc.

All usually reliable items regardless of maker.

Again, it's not the length of the warranty, it's how long the tool
will last under the purchaser's useage. If a builder saves $100 on a
'sawzall' and it fails under a 3 year warranty, he has lost money
because the down time spent getting it replaced under warranty is
worth more than $100.

Then he buys two at the same time - one as a spare. Because even the best
make will fail eventually and he'll be in the same situation.

For someone like me, I have every expectation
any tool I purchase will outlast me (barring abuse or incompetance).

Batteries on cordless tools will fail - you can be sure of that.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

the canned food is extra watery, and I had take the bacon back for a
refund once.

If you can't master canned food, you've got problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:
Have you ever bought any Tools or anything for that matter from Aldi?

the canned food is extra watery, and I had take the bacon back for a
refund once.

If you can't master canned food, you've got problems.

You've tried all their canned food?

But you have no knowledge of their tools?

Others here have - including me. And I'd have no hesitation recommending
them as excellent value for money. But I don't have their generator.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.