Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Cap off unused outdoor power?

On 7/16/2012 12:13 PM, bob wrote:
I had my old hot tub removed.

Now there is an unused 240v power coming out of the garage wall in a
conduit, down a few feet to the ground, then run along the edge of the
house about 15 feet, and end with a cable sticking out the conduit,
temporarily wrapped with electrical tapes.

The power is turned off at the breaker panel, of course.

What is the least amount of work to make this code compliant? Can I cut
off the cable flush with the conduit exit, and then put a conduit cap on
it? Do I have to put something at the end of the cut cables to cover the
exposed copper wires?

If you cut the cable off at the conduit, you're pretty much rendering
the feeder useless, so you may as well disconnect it at the panel and
rip the whole thing out.
If you want to keep it useable for the future, and legal and safe for
the present, the easiest option is to terminate the conduit in a 3R
rain-tight enclosure, leaving the cable intact within the box, with the
ends insulated.